Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: would this be the right way for sheep  (Read 5648 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: would this be the right way for sheep
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 11:47:14 am »
without trying to disrespect anyone's answers,

I sort of look at it from coming from a total novice's view, I wouldn't know what was difficult from easy,
I can imagine if you have a calm herd/flock of any animal , then get a different breed ,that play up, you instantly know  ;D

when i learnt my trade as a floor layer, they told me i had picked the short straw  :roflanim: I was put with a great guy called barry, the lad is sadly no longer with us , barry had this way of training,that..this is how you do it…now get on with it, if you made a mistake, he would then show you where you went wrong, but he liked you to work out things 1st on your own :thumbsup:

I will always put the animals health and condition 1st, and i know i will more than likely be chasing the sheep around a field looking like a complete fool  :roflanim: but i have this feeling inside saying, if others can do it, so can I

this may sound weird, but i hope we don't get a 100% smooth ride, i want to learn from the mistakes i make, i want to be the best Smallholder i can be…we have waited so long for this, and to be honest, we are the sort of people to crack up with laughter at our own mistakes,

saying all that, i do listen to what folk suggest, it would be silly not to, you guys are the one's with experience,
we are so excited about keeping a few sheep and pigs etc etc , and having you guys in the background is priceless  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 12:28:04 pm »
Don't worry, there will be plenty of mistakes your sheep will help you to make, even if you manage to follow every piece of advice the good folks on here give you!

What is it they say? 
A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.  A fool not even from his own.
;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 01:42:22 pm »
I know an elderly couple with small flock of Black Welsh Mountains. They rent little pockets of land and have to move the flock on a regular basis. Sheep handle well to the bucket (no dog) and kept in by normal stock fence. Think a lot of it is to do with the way you handle. They seem to have few problems. Lovely sheep.  :sheep: ;D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 11:33:16 am »
I take your point about hands-on being the best way to learn but you have to remember that sheep aren't flooring.  If you get it wrong a sentient animal could suffer.  Get Tim Tyne's book, go on a course, ask a local sheep farmer if you can help out or rent out your grazing to him and hang around while he checks his stock and does sheep tasks.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 08:08:35 am »
Get Tim Tyne's book and get yourself (and your other half if possible) onto his lambing course. He has a good management system in place and you can also see how his small farm (with pigs/milking cows and some poultry) works. Food is good too...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 08:56:08 am »
We had our neighbours sheep on our land for a while before we took the plunge. We kept an eye on them and told him if there was a problem. He sorted the problem eg. feet and we watched. He also told us when he was doing any sheep related work up at his farm and we went along to watch this eg. drenching, ringing lambs, bottle feeding, vaccinating. Built up a good relationship with him and his wife and when we got our few sheep, he was there to help.

Another way of learning and then having someone there to give advice in the future.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 11:22:27 am »
John, You might want to go to the Royal Welsh Spring Festival at Builth Wells on 17th and 18th May. It used to be called the Smallholders Festival so you will find plenty there that is appropriate for you. Lots of sheep to see too and you can talk to the breeders and breed societies. Tim Tyne is always there doing demos too.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 08:22:17 pm »
yes sal, we thought about this..thats going to be on out to do list..I have been to the devon County show, and i have heard the RWSF is good  :thumbsup:

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 10:57:35 pm »
Get Tim Tyne's book and get yourself (and your other half if possible) onto his lambing course. He has a good management system in place and you can also see how his small farm (with pigs/milking cows and some poultry) works. Food is good too...

You are sooo right Anke,the duck pie was stupendous!  :yum: :yum: :yum:

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 11:47:01 pm »
just ordered the book Anke  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS