Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CPH numbers...  (Read 12918 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
CPH numbers...
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:30:28 pm »
Right I'm slightly confused. I am a 'landless' keeper, I have a CPH no and its registered to my home address but the land is at another location which they have down as the land.

In the future I will be moving the sheep from the land they are currently on and onto another farm permanently. I want my own CPH no so i'm not messing around with the farms standstills etc. Do I have the same CPH no as my home is still the same address or would I need another CPH no?

I plan to speak to the correct people about it at some point but wondered what everyone thinks?

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: CPH numbers...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:17:14 pm »
 :wave:Hi..I'm not sure if I'm qualified to give any advice on this as I'm in Scotland and not official but I have been both a landless keeper and a farm tennant. The farm that the sheep are moving to, are there other animals on it and does the farmer want to have any in the future, if so you will have def have to keep your landless keeper and the sheep will be on another holding for permanent grazing.  It may be that you have to keep it anyway as your holding no. may have to be linked directly with your home address.  I'm in the process of moving from a fixed back to a landless keeper and I told the department about 2 months ago but still don't have a new holding number so I have to use my old one which is a farce and a lie as there are none of my animals there!! Good luck with the permanent grazing it's great if you can get it/buy it.  :thumbsup

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:26:26 pm »
Yes the farm is a large dairy farm!!  I think from what I can see I will need a new CPU no

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:59:33 pm »
You will need a new CPH or use the one on the farm you are moving them to - I always get my own when I graze places so that the legal responsibility for the sheep is mine. You will now have fun doing the 'standstill dance.  ;D 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:02:51 pm by SteveHants »

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:09:27 pm »
 :thinking: From what I know there can only be one holding number for one farm unless there are specific fields that are set aside and specifically given a different cph for the sole use of your animals.  That has to be done with the permission of the landowner obviously.  You might be better keeper your landless keeper cph given the amount of red tape you';re likely to go through.  Good luck

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:19:17 pm »
Not true - see: "temporary" CPH numbers.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:34:34 pm »
I'd still be a landless keeper but with a new cph. Thank you both, I hoped Steve would comment as I saw in an older post that you are also a landless keeper

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 09:48:18 pm »
Sorry to not have been of help but as I said I'm in Scotland so can only relate to my own experiences up here.  Good luck anyway

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 08:27:52 am »
Don't be silly, you did help!!

petectid

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 08:49:15 pm »
I remembered reading this on the RPA website when I was applying for my CPH number, it seems that it is all down to distance the land is from your registered holding address

A5. What is the 5/10 mile rule for CPH allocations?
The five mile rule applies to all sheep and goat keepers and simply means all land within a five mile radius of the main Place of Business is covered by one holding number, it doesn’t need a separate CPH number. The five mile distance is measured as a straight line from the main site and any outlying land that is within five miles of the main site (either fully or partially) is all considered to be the main holding. Only land outside this boundary needs a separate CPH number.

The ten mile rule applies to all livestock keepers, excluding sheep and goat keepers. The ten mile rule works the same way as the five mile rule.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 08:40:10 am »

A5. What is the 5/10 mile rule for CPH allocations?
The five mile rule applies to all sheep and goat keepers and simply means all land within a five mile radius of the main Place of Business is covered by one holding number, it doesn’t need a separate CPH number. The five mile distance is measured as a straight line from the main site and any outlying land that is within five miles of the main site (either fully or partially) is all considered to be the main holding. Only land outside this boundary needs a separate CPH number.

If that is still on the website it is misleading, it went out ages ago (2006?)...

petectid

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 07:06:28 pm »
Yes still on their site http://rpa.defra.gov.uk/rpa/index.nsf/contentdocs/018D4B9233648D1D48025765C004EF7EE

So this ceased to be the case in 2006, how are we meant to operate within these rules when we get this mis- information.  We're are we suppose to look up these regulations?  What else is wrong on there?

mart2671

• Joined Sep 2012
  • South Devon
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:43:57 pm »
We have 3 CPH numbers registerd to one address . One is are own and the other two are from land we rent but we use there CPH numbers which helps a lot with movements etc

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 06:11:00 pm »
Hi,I have 5 CPH no's. one of them is a temporary one.You should have a temporary no.for your sheep on some one else's farm.As your sheep are under some one else's no. they are responsible for them.When you get your new land simply apply for a CPH no. for that land.To do that just ring the RPA.
The 5 mile rule still stands any land withing 5 miles of your CPH no. is covered by that no. anything outside of that you will need a different no. and if some one all ready has a CPH no. on that land get a temporary one. Defra,RPA and animal health are all very helpful if you ring them,and they always seem very happy to answer any questions I have.
Hope that helps

Graham.
Graham.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 07:35:06 pm »
Yes still on their site http://rpa.defra.gov.uk/rpa/index.nsf/contentdocs/018D4B9233648D1D48025765C004EF7EE

So this ceased to be the case in 2006, how are we meant to operate within these rules when we get this mis- information.  We're are we suppose to look up these regulations?  What else is wrong on there?

You are better off ringing Animal Health if you have queries - I almost put some sheep on a small horse place to eat it down which was maybe a mile from my main holding and just rang to confirm I could do this without an AML1 etc and they were very helpful...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS