Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gandhi's spinning wheel  (Read 2300 times)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Gandhi's spinning wheel
« on: November 06, 2013, 11:16:02 am »
On BBC today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-24815476

Have never seen anything like it - but it sounds very useful: folds up small for transport. Does anybody have an idea how it would work? And why it's not better known in this part of the world?

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: Gandhi's spinning wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:28:36 am »
Strictly speaking it's a book charka rather than a spinning wheel. The drive wheel is turned by hand and this turns the spindle at high speer via a gearing system. You spin off the point of the spindle the same way you would on a great wheel. The downside is the capacity of the spindle is not that great, you'd only be able to spin a few yards of DK onto a charka spindle! The high speed though means it's ideal for spinning fine cotton and silk threads and you can get a fair amount of fine thread on a charka spindle.

EYA Charkha Spinning 1.AVI

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:32:01 am by Spinningfishwife »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 08:52:35 pm »
That's interesting. I'd not seen or heard of them before.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 06:20:37 am »
Ah - thanks! That's one to remember for when you want to grow your own flax...

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 07:36:39 am »
Ah - thanks! That's one to remember for when you want to grow your own flax...

Nonono, for flax you'd be better with a standard spinning wheel, either a good vintage flax wheel with a distaff or a modern equivalent. A distaff (the upright pole attachment where you place the bundle of prepared flax fibre) makes flax spinning far easier. Flax on a charka? It's perfectly possible, but I wouldn't like to spin more than a few yards that way.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 03:51:43 pm »
OK. Just thought it's unlikely I'll ever be growing cotton... :)
Or silk, actually. That explains why they are quite unknown around here!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 07:34:01 am »
You can buy charkas on eBay for rather less than Gandhi's one  :-J.  A friend and I have a yen to try to spin the cotton grass that grows on the moss hereabouts, but better spin regular cotton first, huh. 

I spin flax on an Ashford Traddy and enjoy it.  Slower is better, you want very low twist for flax.  I've seen a serviceable distaff made from a broom, a paper cone and some ribbon, but I've been taught to wrap the long fibres loosely in a tea towel and spin from that, no distaff required.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 12:41:59 pm »
The Indian spinning was mostly cotton which is tricky and requires a lot of twist. Also you need to master the art of long draw using just one hand as the other is used to drive the wheel.
What fibre was that lady in the video spinning, anyone know? Was it silk waste?
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS