Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lockerbie Bomber Released or Not  (Read 10483 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Lockerbie Bomber Released or Not
« on: August 20, 2009, 08:55:42 am »
It looks as though the Scottish Government will announce this afternoon the fate of the man in jail accused of killing 270 innocent people in 1988. Personally I do not think he should be returned home, ill or not. This will probably open up a can of worms but I am interested in other peoples thoughts. I am surprised the American Government has not made threats if he gets released.

sandy

Re: Lockerbie Bomber Released or Not
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:04:53 am »
I agree entirely, he may well be innocent and be a scape goat (sorry about the negative reference to goats!!) but however, he has been found guilty and given a sentence, those people who were killed have no reprieve, and as James said, releasing him may light a fuse to more unrest. Personally I cannot understand when someone has committed a crime are they let out if they are terminally ill????

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:16:50 am »
He didn't show compassion to those he killed in their last moments so why should he be realeased early on 'compassionate' grounds.  Life should mean life! Send him to a Libyan jail by all means, prob less comfortable than ours and we won't have to pick up the cost of his health care, relase him NO!!!

>:(

I could rant so long and hard over the so called criminal justice sytem and prisons and punishment...best not to get started!!!

Feel better for getting that of my chest... :-[

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:21:50 am »
I think he should be released on compassionate grounds. The man is dying - if he did what he was convicted of, and there seems to be some doubt about the security of his conviction, then maybe he will have to face his God very soon.

For his family, he should be released.

It aslo p*sses off the Yanks, so that makes it even more right.

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 09:59:46 am »
Hmm; not an easy one this.  There have been all sorts of conflicting reports as to his innocene or not. However was found guilty, so we have to go along with that. This then leads us to should he be released as he is terminally ill. Personally I am sitting on the fence, unable to come to a decision in my own mind.

I feel for the relatives of the dead who want him to stay inside, but it must be said that there are relatives ( albeit a minority ) that think he should be released. Its all a bit fishy when you consider he was only brought to the UK in 2004, at a time when Gadaffi was keen on restoring relations with the west.

I am however very happy that Mrs Clinton is upset. What an awful woman she is.

Kevin

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:03:48 am »
Oh, one more point.  Hats off to brave Scotland for not shying away from such a difficult decision.  The pressure on them, mainly from the other side of the pond must be intense. Scotland will have a rough time with this for a while, but will come out stronger for it. A few less American tourists is niether here nor there.

Kevin

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 10:13:34 am »
sorry ' brought to the Uk 2004 ' should be 2001

kevin

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 10:16:47 am »
This is a very difficult decision for the Scottish Government.

A sentence should be a sentence, illness comes to all of us, but if he is guilty and was released, he
could also influence others to be terrorists, and be seen by some, even religions people, as a hero.

I think the only solution for the Government is to send him to prison in his own country, or keep him where he is. Sending him home, could be seen as being fair, and I would not be worried about the Americans on this one, I would be more worried about more terrorists targetting Scotland.

Julie

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 10:29:45 am »
he may well be innocent

uhm, all the more reason to release him no?

regardless of who he is or his crime - our penal system will grant early leave on compasionate grounds for people who are dying. I don't see why we should change that humanitarian position.

as to his individual crime - i think his early release and dropping of the appeal all sits very nicely with some members of the security services and government (though given the time that has passed, i'm sure the current mob will blame the last mob and ultimately, they'll all cover their arses!)

Whatever he did/didn't do - he didn't do it all alone. A full public enquiry needs to be conducted into this and the other people involved should be found and put through the justice system.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 10:34:47 am »
This is a very difficult decision for the Scottish Government.

Indeed

A sentence should be a sentence, illness comes to all of us, but if he is guilty and was released, he
could also influence others to be terrorists, and be seen by some, even religions people, as a hero.

Does the name Bobby Sands mean anything? Nothing like creating a martyr by letting him die in a British prison.

I think the only solution for the Government is to send him to prison in his own country, or keep him where he is. Sending him home, could be seen as being fair, and I would not be worried about the Americans on this one, I would be more worried about more terrorists targetting Scotland.

Julie

I thought that was the plan - not releasing and freeing him. He is being transferred to a prison in his own country to be hear his family

think Smeaton has done enough to deter terrorists in Scotland!!! LOL

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:06:18 pm »
Just one word on the release of the lockerbie bomber.......OIL!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 12:12:00 pm »
'An eye for an eye?' - that is NOT our prerogative, it is the prerogative of a being higher than us.  He should be allowed to go home to die in peace.  A young man killed my first husband in a car too big and heavy for him.  I forgave him, and the stupid father who let him drive it, long ago.   Life is too short to allow yourself to become bitter and twisted.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:16:07 pm »
Looks like we will all find out in about a Hour, seems strange why they wanted him to drop his appeal, seems like a huge can of worms is going to be opened,
We shouldn't be puppets to our friends accross the pond, we did that already and we are still paying for that one, (Gulf) :chook:.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 01:29:15 pm »
he may well be innocent

uhm, all the more reason to release him no?

regardless of who he is or his crime - our penal system will grant early leave on compasionate grounds for people who are dying. I don't see why we should change that humanitarian position.

as to his individual crime - i think his early release and dropping of the appeal all sits very nicely with some members of the security services and government (though given the time that has passed, i'm sure the current mob will blame the last mob and ultimately, they'll all cover their arses!)

Whatever he did/didn't do - he didn't do it all alone. A full public enquiry needs to be conducted into this and the other people involved should be found and put through the justice system.

Couldn't agree more with sellickbhoy! And more to the point so does my other half. And I rate his opinion quite highly, given that he lived two streets away from Sherbourne Cresent in Lockerbie, where a large portion of the plane landed. He knows people who died there- and but for the grace of god he could easily have been killed by it himself. Although he was only a child when it happened, he does have a stronger insight than a lot of people.

Beth

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 01:32:03 pm »
Well Parliament have now released him, this is an outrage!!! Great justice for all the families that lost a relative/friend. Just when I thought SNP were making a difference.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:39:45 pm by jameslindsay »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS