Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Absent father now quite unwell  (Read 7805 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Absent father now quite unwell
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 02:52:22 pm »
I am only just able to listen to 'the Living Years' 6 years after losing my dad, so many things were left unsaid, the end was sudden, 8pm - call by paramedics, got over there, to hospital with him, called family, he seemed to stabilise so they sent us home about 2am, called back 4am - too late. I still cry, we'd waved goodbye expecting to see him again. crying now, I still miss him and wish I'd answered the questions he's asked a few days before, something family-wise I'd never talked about but he knew there wa a problem, and he'd wanted to talk about something I didn't want to hear so I'd changed the subject, how I wish I'd let him get it off his chest.
I know you've made your mind up but if it's not too much of a problem I would go, on my own maybe, you can't be sure of what went on in the background, 2nd wife may have objected? you may remind him too much of your mum and the problems?
Not to expect any apologies, just to say goodbye and give it closure, it may be a chance not repeated.

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 05:13:53 pm »

I
My relationship was different to yours, Both my parents left , and met new partners, I am sure one of them was meant to take me,   :) I stayed in the house on my own, i was 14 at the time.. until my aunt bought the property

i empathise with you on this..my mum and her friends all separated from their husbands around the same time so were only interested in partying..they just used to drink and sleep then drink again to the point that when it was party time at our house the beds were full of whoever and I would be sent to the local shop and pub at all hours for alcohol at aged 13..even before school.  When it was at other people houses my mum would disappear for days at a time, up to 4..then I would go see my dad and his partner would give me vodka and I thought this was great at the time but led to me thinking drinking was the way to go to escape.  It has taken me many many years of self analysis to stop being bitter towards them and it's made me far tougher than I want to be,  in the end I decided that they may have affected the child but I am in control of the adult me.

As for the saying goodbye, I had sort of done that when I went to see him after his stroke..I took a deep breath and olive branch and drove the 3 hours with my reluctant children to see him thinking that I was going either say goodbye or get things sorted. I left my number and said for either him or his wife to call whichever way it went..no one did and here I am again. I have just told my kids about him and I think that one of them wants to go see him so that's that..I can't push my past onto them, they're living their own lives so I may end up seeing him, I'm going to be told how he gets on after surgery i'll decide then. :fc: :fc: :fc:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:15:47 pm by aess35 »

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 07:39:49 pm »
aess35 .
That you have posted your predicament on here tells me that you do still care even though your dad might not seem to .
 I'm 63 and have seen your situation quite a few times.

Most who went and made their peace with one another seem to have weathered the inevitable death better than those who didn't go .

One thing that does have to be taken into consideration is can you afford to travel there several times 
IE
 Before the demise hoping to get some sense of comfort for both of you , trying to be there in the last few hours  or attending the funeral .

We have had seven deaths in my wife's broken up family in four years or so .. it got expensive for every trip cost us in excess of £ 500.
It was also very emotionally draining for Alison but she does not feel any of the misplaced guilt she used to feel whilst they were alive.

Like you she is left wondering why she was pig in the middle of two grown up's spiteful     arguments where they hadn't the skills needed to get over it or the emotional development needed to stay wed and bring the kids up as a family ..

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 08:36:03 pm »
This exact situation happened to my dad a few years ago. His mum died when he was 18 and his dad remarried and essentially didn't want anything to do with him. They never spoke, I never met him. Dad had a phone call one day (not sure who from) that his father was gravely ill, he had asbestos related cancer I think. Dad decided to go see him and they made their peace (as much as you can when you haven't seen eachother for 30 odd years), a couple of days later he died. I think it helped dad, so I would say if you can go and see your dad I would.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 09:03:51 pm »
i feel for you as iv been in a similar situation.
my father disowned me at 17 and i spent 10 yrs trying to fix our relationship to no avail. i was in australia when i found out he had cancer so i came back and was his carer for a while, but at the end of the day he just used me as a pawn in his divorce and it got too much. i havent spoken to him for 10 years now, he has remarried and apart from some abusive emails from his new wife, iv heard nothing, nothing when my mother died, and no attempt to contact me when it is in theory is easy to do so as the divorce solicitors have my details.  i live in scotland and he lives in london - if he is still alive - i sometimes check the death register to see if his name is there. but if i did get the call to visit him or attend his funeral, im sure i wouldnt go, as he knows i have no remaining family and basically doesnt care 2 hoots about what has happened to me.
i know what its like to clash with teenage children but i wouldnt ever dis-own my own children and leave them to fend for themselves in the world, after all they didnt ask to be born.

however living in the same village and being ignored is even more hurtful. id say do what you feel is right FOR YOURSELF. not for him, or for anyone else. best wishes xx

big hug   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 09:28:08 pm »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:  from me as well.

I don't know what it was like for you as I grew up with both my parents but my feeling is that if you don't go, will you regret it later? If you do go, don't expect anything from him. He's unlikely to change now. You don't need to go to the funeral as well.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 10:01:37 pm »
I'm in the don't bother camp - It sounds like he never bothered when he was well - even when he lived in the same place. I'd not waste another thought on him - your time and emotion would be better spent on those who have shown they care for you.

As the old saying goes: you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family.

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 10:14:38 pm »
I'm in the don't bother camp - It sounds like he never bothered when he was well - even when he lived in the same place. I'd not waste another thought on him - your time and emotion would be better spent on those who have shown they care for you.

As the old saying goes: you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family.

I keep going to this side too to be honest..having him back in my life for the past 24 hours in spirit so to speak has caused me to lose sleep and made me anxious..haven't heard if he's had his op yet, problem might be solved for me in due course.  :tired:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 10:32:20 pm »
It's a tough one. My Dad's second wife didn't want him to have anything to do with his children from his first marriage but he was a coward as well for complying. He never was a very emotional man with us but he had no such qualms talking with pride (to me) about his stepchildren and the one boy they had together. I made all the effort for years trying to establish contact with barely an acknowledgement. Wrote a cheery chipper letter this year leaving out all the hurt and guilt and all that unhelpful crap, trying to be all adult insted of the hurting child I actually still was. Chased up the lack of response to find he'd died two years ago. It hurt that I hadn't had chance to see him and say goodbye. I may have faced the same rejection as I always have had but I still think I'd like to at least had that moment to see.
Don't do it for him. Only do it for you if you think it will fester that you didn't.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 10:49:01 pm »
We will all have different answers to give, because we are all different people

aess35 is like a few of us…she is the perfect hard boiled egg..hard on the outside, with the perfect soft centre,
you can tell by the way she writes, that she can be firm, yet has a heart of gold, its very hard looking back and wanting to be loved by the people you think would do it naturally, you start asking yourself if you did anything wrong

its easy to say tell him to bog off…most of us would say that…. but it really isn't that easy..
well !!! its easy to say….but not do

they say there is a fine line between love and hate….when you walk with one foot on either side of that line , it can be bloody horrible

the good thing is… you have a lot of cyber friends on here, and what ever you do…we will all be here for a pick you up  :thumbsup:

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 10:59:06 pm »
john and helen.. i raise my cyber glass to you and thank you for being diplomatic.  ;) I'll keep you posted on the hopefully uneventful next week, he may make a remarkable recovery from surgery and this issue will be put on the shelf for another day..that would be the best outcome for all concerned!!  :relief:

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 12:22:14 am »
Definitely go and see him. You might regret going but you will more than likely regret it a lot more, by which time it will probably be too late.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 09:43:44 am »
If you did visit him now it would maybe give you the opportunity to move on from all the unresolved things from your childhood, which have perhaps kept a small part of you as the child that still craves parental love.  You could just take the opportunity to be kind to a very sick old man which would put you in an entirely different relationship and give you some closure.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 10:20:43 am »
Decisions in life are always easier when its someone else's life. I've had a fairly chequered family history myself, involving spells in children's homes, foster families  and countless let downs. I grew up believing that families were pretty pointless, characterised by pain and disappointment and the occasional bit of duty. I spent much of my teenage years and early adulthood dreaming of a day when my rubbish parents would make up for all the wrongs they had done to me. I spent many hours/days running through the moment in my head, fully scripted, as they begged for my forgiveness. needless to say the moment never came. As I got older I became more resigned to the fact that it wasn't going to happen and less dependent on it. while there are inevitably moments when its harder to rise above it ( perhaps for you one of those moments is now) I made a decision long ago that I refused to be defined by the fact that I was unfortunate enough to have been born to 2 pretty lousy parents. I'm no saint even now I'm sure but feel more concerned about how I behave as a son and as a human being, than I do about how others behaved. After all that's the only thing I can ever have any control over and at the end of the day its me and my conscious I have to deal with..Whilst it wouldn't be without heartache I would always aim to do the "right" thing with a minimum of expectation of any thing meaningful in return. On the plus side, I have also been lucky enough to acquire other family and friends over the years, who I know love and value me- my original grim view of family has become far more positive over the years. spending a couple of hours on someone who probably hasn't earned my attention would probably (selfishly I'm sure) not be for them at all- but for me

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS