Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how to kill a chicken llama style  (Read 4299 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
how to kill a chicken llama style
« on: August 19, 2009, 11:39:40 pm »
I have been warned numerous times that when a llama attacks something it turns from its placid usual self into something rather nasty.  I have witnessed that tonight!!

For the last couple of nights , the llama has been agitated, looking over the wall, into next doors field. He has then herded the hens down towards the sheds, once its going dark, as if he did not want them out any longer.  Hens being hens, did not want to go in until they were ready.

Tonight, I had just put their food down before they went inside.  Llama came charging down the field, tried to round the hens up, but not all did as he wanted.  Before I could stop him he reared up, and landed with both feet on a very large hen.  I picked it up, could see it was in a bad way. Called up the field for my hubby to come and dispatch it, but before he reached me it was dead - pretty instant.  On inspection the hen had a broken neck and a broken foot.

I was upset about the hen, as it was not a battery hen, but a very large laying hen, although getting on in years.  At least it went quick.  And not one to waste anything, its now plucked and dressed and waiting to be cooked.  Cannot miss the chance of a free range chicken.

Well, we now know what would happen to a fox ....just hope this was a freak accident and no more go the same way.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: how to kill a chicken llama style
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:29:24 am »
Wow, Kung Fu Llama!

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:40:40 am »
If you can teach the llama to pluck them as well - you may be onto a winner
 :D ;D ;D ;D :D

Julie

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:37:21 am »
He is a bright boy, I am sure after a couple of lessons he would be plucking and dressing chickens for us.  In a way I am glad he landed on it to kill it. Had my hubby not been around I could not have killed it myself.

I have seen a fox over the wall at dusk, and that must be why the llama is getting worked up, and knows the hens should be inside.  Hopefully the fox was watching what happened and will keep away now!!  I would not have put it past the fox to try and sneak up and pick my dead chicken up off the wall where I had left it for safe keeping until I went down to the house!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:46:00 pm »
I have seen a fox over the wall at dusk, and that must be why the llama is getting worked up, and knows the hens should be inside

Are llamas really that clever?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 04:07:31 pm »
Oh yes - he knows exactly who belongs in his field - he has the hens, the sheep, the goats and the pony .....he even knows our cats.  Anything not belonging us is chased.  That is why llamas are used by farmers to guard sheep and lambs.  They are very inquisitive, so  any noise or movement even at night, and he will be there to check it out!!

That is the first time I have seen him in attack mode, and I now realise that I cannot be fooled by his normal quiet manner - the worm can turn!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 05:51:57 pm »
I used to like llamas...........................................
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

leena

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 06:20:22 pm »
Are llamas really that clever?

If thats a lamas way of getting the chickens into the hut he aint so smart ;D :o :o :o

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 11:13:13 pm »
No, he just got annoyed with them and was stamping his feet in rage...................... ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 11:24:56 pm »
I hope he does not stamp on me - he is not over keen on me for some reason, and quite often spits at me.  Never see him spit at his ladies - human ones, who stop at the wall with his bananas.  He is known locally as the banana llama!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 11:27:06 pm »
You HAVE to be joking - Bananalama ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Does he sing and dance as well?  We just must see photos of this guy!

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 11:34:25 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bananalama  - get breeding him - quick - get him on X Factor ;D ;D

Good one Annie  ;D ;D ;D

Julie

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 11:38:05 pm »
Well, he's got the 'X' factor already - he 'exes' chickens  ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 11:41:28 pm »
Yes, he is definitely known as banana llama.  The electric people are working in our fields, and stopped me the other day, to ask about the banana llama - someone had obviously told them about his passion for banana's.

leena

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 01:16:23 am »

Bananalama  a name that is odd

for chicken and humans he don't give  a sod.

Get in his way he will spit in your eye

Get under his feet and your likely to die!

Kung  fu llama is the name that they call

when the girls see him peeping over the wall.

Stranger beware !and do not go near

and if you look like a chicken you have reason to fear.

This guy knows no mercy if you stay out late.

Refuse to come in and you seal your own fate.

Get in and get home and stay out of the night

Bananallarma is watching and waiting to strike!

be afraid, be very afraid

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS