Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting with an allotment in Nov  (Read 11585 times)

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: .
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 06:23:19 pm »

Obviously no-one has seen my weeds - they're not sweet little well behaved things but giant thugs which wouldn't be remotely slowed down by layers of straw, no matter how organic, leaves, compost, newspaper, that brown paper you can spend your £££s on. I have tried the black polythene mulch  :o :o :o  but the weeds just see it as a momentary setback, and even grow on top of it.  I have sometimes wondered if I should concrete over the lot - but I'm sure some of my weeds would still find a way through  :hohoho:

Flamethrower?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: Starting with an allotment in Nov
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 06:30:05 pm »
In all honesty I have been tempted by flaming the weeds in my garden, the concrete the previous owners put down doesn't stop them.

I'm unable to get to the allotment for the next two weeks so will spend that time looking into the cardboard. It does seem like the best solution except for the chemicals. Gah.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 06:49:13 pm »
I used hemp to make my net . Home grown , retted  , processed and spun , the horses eat most of the stinging nettles , but have used it to make string and sacking ! I did buy some plastic netting , still in the boxes unused .

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Starting with an allotment in Nov
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 09:59:39 pm »
There must be a sensible organic alternative to cardboard or sheet metal.
 I cut down a load of ferns around a barn but forgot to move them off the grass for a few weeks. When I did move them them the soild beneath was bare. I guess the question is if the ferns were just simply cuts out the light or if whatever leaches out of the ferns would be nasty for the plants we want to grow nearby.
We are lucky in July and August as it gets a bit hot so hoeing is easy if not a little dusty.

Perhaps look up the website " Back to Eden" they use shredded green wood that has been composted laid over a compost bed  they plant through the mulch and after a while very few weeds are around.

I  understand that apparently most fern spores are carcinogenic , so you might like to see what you can find out by doing a bit of research online .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS