Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lonely Bleeting Sheep  (Read 2573 times)

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
Lonely Bleeting Sheep
« on: November 13, 2013, 05:01:55 pm »
I have 5 first year ewes in an acre field.  The last couple of weeks i have noticed one of the ewes regularly on her own and calling.  I have checked her for lameness, fly strike, condition and she seems fine.  Just had a call from my neighbour saying she has been calling on her own all day.

Any ideas why this might be?  Im a complete sheep novice and only had them for a few months.

Thanks

Dan

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: Lonely Bleeting Sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 05:16:46 pm »
Does she have something wrong with her eyes maybe?

I have heard of sheep going blind before and they stand on thier own baaaaing as they cant see thier friends anymore

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 05:17:40 pm »
My first instinct with any animal (especially a sheep) that is behaving differently to normal, or differently to the others is to do what you've done and check it over thoroughly. We did have one last year that we bought in just weaned with a couple of others to add to the flock. She took ages ( well a few weeks) until she stopped causing us huge concern. She didn't bleat like yours but she was always on her own, often some distance away from the others and just seemed withdrawn and unhappy despite no obvious physical reason. Eventually she joined the others and is now, a year later, indistinguishable from the rest and part of the flock. We wondered whether she had been weaned early perhaps, or just coped less well with weaning than the others. I don't know for sure but wonder whether some just pine for mother for longer. As you've had them a few months it would be strange if she's still pining though so  I wouldn't totally rule out something physical just yet, though it looks like you've checked for the obvious

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 05:20:49 pm »
just seen lady Grey's post- that's a good shout

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 05:49:49 pm »
Have known a ewe do this when she is on heat...... just a thought
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 06:32:58 pm »
yes my first thought was she's shouting for a man :-)
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 08:38:40 pm »
yes my first thought was she's shouting for a man :-)
Cows definitely do that.  Not heard of sheep doing it, but maybe so?
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 10:48:22 pm »
i would say she is gagging for it  :-[ :-[ :roflanim:
it is breeding season.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 07:50:30 am »
Yes, I would say she is most definitely in season.  Most of my ewes will separate off from the others and stand bleating on their own when in season - often throughout the day and night!  I think you might find she returns to the flock and stops bleating when her season ends.  And then she will probably do the same routine in about 16 days time!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS