Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to start feeding hay?  (Read 5357 times)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
When to start feeding hay?
« on: November 05, 2013, 07:32:43 am »
Just wondering at what point do you provide hay to supplement the remaining grass in the field?  My tup has just gone in and there is grass available - but  I guess from now on it won't provide much nutrition.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: When to start feeding hay?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 07:39:18 am »
My 13 plus tup are getting a large hay bag full every day. Gets the ewes to line up so Nemo can check them over and so can I  ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 07:45:55 am »
I'm thinking of starting to feed hay today, now the frosts have come. There isn't much grass in their field until the two ram lambs go for the chip in 10 days time and they can move into their field which has more. And I just get the feeling they are starting to gets a bit hungry. Ram won't come over to our place until ram lambs are away so won't be for a couple of weeks yet, another late ish lambing next year but I'm only tupping a few.

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:09:22 am »
all mine now have the hayracks in .Only the gimmer lambs are eating it and they seem to have a lot of grass left.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 08:14:53 am »
We are feeding already. Our land is saturated and the grass not looking so good.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:56:46 am »
Mine have had access to a large round bale for a while now and are really enjoying it.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 09:39:24 am »
I've been feeding for a few weeks now as we've had a lot of rain.  They will always prefer the grass so if you put some out and they don't eat it then you know they don't need it yet :).

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 07:14:59 pm »
we still got plenty of grass but started feeding a little hay on sunday as a few of the ewe's went over to the hayrack looking for some. with all this rain I think there getting too much water from the grass. What some old farmer told me happens and who am I to argue lol.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:38:38 pm »
our girls have had access to hay all year and have just started to eat bit more than they had done.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 07:50:31 pm »
No hay for the sheep yet, and only a handful of mix every couple of days so I can check them over. I don't intend to over feed the sheep, and am trying to let my traditional breed go through the winter and lamb without too much pampering and bought in feed. Keeping an eye on the condition of the ewes will be key for me, and not stuffing them with cake and ending up with lambing problems  :fc: 

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 08:17:18 pm »
We still got plenty of grass down here but i have just given them some hay in a field shelter. They are having a nibble when it's raining hard and they are sheltering but not much yet.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »
Ours have been tucking into hay for a while now, just makes up for the lack in the grass at this time of year. We only give enough that they eat every scrap. They make alot of noise at delivery time!

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 08:47:42 pm »
It has been so mild, the autumn flush has been good down here, loads of grass

Graemscifi

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 07:22:03 pm »
my grandad always said one pound of feed before xmas is worth 2 after, the point being that its easier to keep your sheep in condition than to regain condition prelambing, so bung the hay in early, it will come to no harm lying for weeks even on the park as they eat or not as they like, you can move it with the sheepies, i do with my gimmers and did when i just had a dozen sheep. i think if your asking the question then your instinct is to feed them so go on, enjoy it, i love feeding the greedy swine, its a grand feeling watching them tuck in

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 07:36:59 am »
Thanks for all those answers chums.It seems where you are is a big factor in this and down here in Devon - the land that time forgot , my sheep are still in good condition and seem to be doing ok on just grass at the moment. But since it rains every day, this won't last much longer, and so the advice above will be invaluable then.
As a supplementary point, they are so fussy about what hay they will eat at all. Last winter I tried six different suppliers before finding a batch that took their fancy. Not hungry enough I hear you say, but just bloody awkward in my view - just want to waste my money!
 With this last summer as it was, hopefully the hay will be better quality this time round.
Thanks again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS