Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Infected chickens  (Read 6769 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Infected chickens
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 11:10:17 am »
Well, what did she have?

becca1401

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Neville NSW Australia
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 11:21:46 am »
What I was trying to say is that my ducks and chicken lay their eggs in one nest. The ducks lay their eggs early in the morning  and fudge my only laying chicken lays hers in the afternoon. When I let them out I collect the eggs and sometimes have to mess the nest up a bit because my ducks like to hide thier eggs. Well this seems to completely confuss my chicken 'fudge' and she starts clucking to the ducks and the other chickens,then they all come and look at the nest. Well the ducks don't seem to really care and the other chickens are not sure what they are suppose to be looking at,but poor old Fudge decides its best not to lay any eggs just incase someone is STEALING them.

So this is why I have to leave the eggs until the afternoon so that when Fudge comes to lay there are always eggs there and this makes her a very happy chicken.

THE END

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 12:57:44 pm »
poor girl. how many pups.

becca1401

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Neville NSW Australia
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 09:23:18 pm »
Sorry. I have barely slept in a week and I m now seeing things. My lurcher has only 2 male puppies that are black. She found it all very distressing as I don't think she ever knew she was in pup. She has been panting all day on and off and is still restless. She is not in any pain and is comfortable but we think she may be holding onto more pups. We have been told that it is common for some puppies to be born along time before the rest of the litter. I am not totally convinced and think she is just a bit confused about the day.

If anything  is going to happen it will be be tonight so that means another sleepless night. You see on top of this I have had a constant reem of visitors and I mean constant and had to endure between 4 - 7 children on various days of the week,3 of which are mine. My sister in law has just bought 43 chicken hatching eggs 12 Quail and another 24 quail on the way. My incubator is manual turning so guess who will be doing that.

sandy

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 09:31:41 pm »
Poor Lucy and poor Beck!!!! fingers crossed it will all go well and you can both get some sleep!!!

becca1401

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Neville NSW Australia
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 09:40:39 pm »
No visitors until 3:00 tomorrow unless someone wants to suprise me. I may lie in until 6:00!

Hardfeather

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 07:04:26 am »
Sorry. I have barely slept in a week and I m now seeing things. My lurcher has only 2 male puppies that are black. She found it all very distressing as I don't think she ever knew she was in pup. She has been panting all day on and off and is still restless. She is not in any pain and is comfortable but we think she may be holding onto more pups. We have been told that it is common for some puppies to be born along time before the rest of the litter. I am not totally convinced and think she is just a bit confused about the day.

If anything  is going to happen it will be be tonight so that means another sleepless night.

That's not a good sign.

Whelping bitches should not be allowed to go for long spells between pups, without veterinary examination/intervention...........particularly if they are seemingly distressed.

There may be a pup 'stuck' and this could prove fatal for pups and bitch. Another alternative is that the bitch is very tired after delivering the first two pups, and she is physically unable to deliver the next pup............which means any others behind it are being compromised, too.

It may be simple to sort out.............the vet will probably give her a dose of oxytocin, and may help her to deliver the first pup from that point, after which she will likely get on with it herself.

I'd be inclined to treat this as an emergency for the sake of all.

becca1401

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Neville NSW Australia
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 09:16:34 am »
We have watched her over the past 24 hours and don't believe she is having any more pups. The problem with her stressing in because I have a Bedlington terrier in the other room with 4 puppies and my Lurcher thinks they are hers. It is hard to explain to other people what she is like. I spend all of my time with the dogs and can safely say she is just mentally stressed or rather confussed with whats going on. She is being a good mother to her pups but if she keeps me up crying again she will have to go down the shed with the heat lamp. I think that everyone we know who breed lurchers are shocked that she only had two as normal they have loads.

I would take her to the vets if I thought it was necessary but I no he would just tell me to keep her somewhere quite away from the other dog which is hard in the house as no matter where you go you can here the puppies when they cry.

My Lurcher is like a baby and likes the security of me around her then she is totally fine

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 12:30:10 pm »
Hi - sounds like a nightmare. In my still - learning -about -chickens opinion, the neighbouring chickens could be infected with mycoplasma. The bubbly eyes give it away. It needs treating. Hope you can convince neighbour to get it sorted out.
All the best Bibs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 11:35:26 pm »
Most breeders don't have more than one litter at a time, unless they have staff and appropriate facilities.  When the pups come to weaning stage at 2 to 3 weeks it will be a nightmare.  You can't put them in together as their mothers will fight - even if they are best friends normally.  I wish you the best of luck - I've been a dog breeder 30 years and wouldn't want to be you right now!  Have fun! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS