Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune kune for meat ?  (Read 9811 times)

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Kune kune for meat ?
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:22:03 pm »
Although i haven't done much in the way of pigs, only a couple of GOS a few years back i 'm now considering a couple more pigs and having considered most traditional breeds and then began to consider kune kunes. I know there will be at least one person who will be shouting do it (HAPPY HIPPY), but wondered if there was anyone else on here who had tried them for meat and what were the pro's and cons as regards to feeding, space etc. Look forward to any replies.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Kune kune for meat ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:44:56 pm »
All I know is peeps I know who've tried it say Kunes are absolutely delicious  :thumbsup: :pig:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:51:04 pm »
small but delicious!
Little Blue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:30:26 pm »
We bought two KK castrates from happyhippy. They were born 28th January, we got them in April and they were slaughtered on 22nd October. Deadweights are 49.5kg and 42kg.

We'll get the pork (two legs) and the sausages on Wednesday; the gammon (two legs) and the bacon (as much as could be got from back and belly) in two weeks.

Not got butchery costs yet but will look back and see how much we fed them - we were looking for a low input: low output system.

I've had KK pork, bacon and sausages form Karen and it's lovely.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 07:55:04 pm »
Thanks, certainly food for thought.  :thumbsup:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:36:24 pm »
Also very friendly pigs and easy to look after.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 05:45:22 pm »
We fed them 11 20kg bags of feed costing £95.59, so about £1 per kg deadweight. Plus veggies and fruit from the garden and the local greengrocer plus one bag of brock potatoes at £10.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:13:20 pm »
Cheers Rosemary

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:55:46 pm »
I am now on my 2nd go with the Kune-Kune piglets. I found the first 2 cheaper to rear and  lot easier to look after. My first go at rearing piglets was with the all black. they were just to big and their size worried me. The Kune meat is just lovely. I find them a lot of fun to have around.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 10:26:35 am »
I have had many kunekunes go for meat now :)

My most recent 3 I picked up this weekend, they were only 6 months old but I didnt have the time for them anymore so they had to go, Dead weights were around 27-30 kgs

I got 45kgs of sausages, loads of bacon, MASSIVE gammons, rolled and boned hind legs and some neck fillets.

Not sure how much it all weighs though as I have frozen it already

The sausages are always amazing, I usually sell them but they go too quick then I am always left with none, so this time I am keeping them more hush hush, family only!

Bacon is superb! my pigs I sent off last had approx 1 cm back fat, which is lovely on the bacon :)

Pork is full of flavour and just the right amount of fat

They lived off mostly windfall apples, hay, acorns and forage so would be difficult for me to figure out costs

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 11:13:22 am »
We're just about to send our first kune kunes in December.
Two sows that have produced piglets for us, but are unregistered, so aiming for good bacon from them as they're long kunes
We also have a gilt that'll be about a year.
Having heard how good it is, we're really looking forward to it.
With 3 pigs going, though, think there may be an excess, so have another thread starting on here if anyone is looking for some kune pork :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 01:26:28 pm »
Obviously I'm all for it  ;D For all the reasons stated above.
You're looking at a longer time investment than traditional breeds and they do need a bit more space to allow them to graze (I'd say half an acre would be the minimum) but they're just so easy to look after, don't trash the ground the same (thought they will still root, but not to anything like the same extent as big pigs) and cost less in terms of hard feeding.
The meat is sweeter and less 'porky' than traditional breeds - we can barely keep up with demand for the sausages, they're that good  :thumbsup:
The only two pieces of advice are
1) Don't be tempted to overfeed them or feed bakery products/grain - you'll end up with FAT pigs  ;)
2) Try not to get too attached to them (it's very easily done because they are so darned friendly)  :innocent:

HTH
Karen

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 03:31:44 pm »
The only problem with rearing the smaller breeds of pigs, is that unfortunately they cost the same amount as their larger bretheren to slaughter and butcher.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 03:41:14 pm »
Actually I changed abbatior to one who charges per kilo to kill and cut, my old one charged a set charge per pig which yes worked out expensive

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 04:06:45 pm »
You're extremely lucky to have such an obliging slaughterhouse. :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS