Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What turns a rat inside out?  (Read 4949 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
What turns a rat inside out?
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:33:37 pm »
When I went into the garden to play football with my eldest boy yesterday, he complained that there was 'something dead' in front of his goal. When I went to have a look, he was right! There was the inside-out skin of a rat lying on the lawn. We have a pair of cats who catch the odd rat but I've never seen them do this to them. So did something else? and if so what?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: What turns a rat inside out?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:53:36 pm »
Badger would be my immediate thought, as its what they do to hedgehogs, they just leave an inside out prickly skin  :tired:

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:02:54 pm »
My old farm cats (part Burmese) many years ago used to do this.  They used to leave what we called "ratskin rugs"  draped artistically round the farmyard and barns. None of my subsequent farm cats have ever done this...perhaps yours have the "skinning gene" too....
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:16:12 pm »
Badgers turn their prey inside out but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they'd take a rat.

I've had cats who were great ratters but all have always left all rats intact; dead but otherwise intact. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 08:01:38 pm »
Most literature seems to agree that badgers do eat rats, tho they prefer tastier and less fierce things like rabbits, worms and hedgehogs if they can find them easily enough.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:34:34 pm »
As I read the heading only one word came to mind - Badger.
However I have read that foxes can take a hedgehog by rolling it into water and getting to its softer underneath as it has to open up, so if hungry would they take a rat (they do eat mice) and eat the soft underbelly, but I would think they would also eat the skin? I do find rabbit skins down the field, presumably left by fox.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 03:51:00 pm »
Thanks, sounds like I should keep a closer watch for other signs of badgers about. Our cats do take the odd rat but like Sally's they tend to leave them whole.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 06:03:58 pm »
I've got two young cats and have found several turned inside out rats. Perhaps they are the culprits or maybe they have found badger leftovers. We are in a area where there are lots of badgers as we can sometimes hear them at night.

Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS