Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where do you spin?  (Read 2502 times)

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
Where do you spin?
« on: November 02, 2013, 07:44:46 pm »
I was at the local ski centre All Saints market yesterday. It was really wierd. In th emountains there was enough snow for skiing so many of the spectators had their skiis on their shoulders.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Where do you spin?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:23:04 am »
I think my fingers and toes would get too cold to spin there. I prefer somewhere nice and warm  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 10:25:11 pm »
Yes, and me. I like my comfort. In the summer my spinning group gave a demonstration at a local farm park. It was a cold, damp day and we were in a barn with open sections. It was freezing.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:07:54 am »
I realize, it feels much colder in your wet, damp climate  :( We had freezing fog yesterday BRRRRR. Then in the evening the temp., or at least the feeling of warmth rose and it started tio snow. This morning there is about 3 inches to shovel I was more worried about my spinning wheel. She creaked and groaned a little but faired very well. I had forgotten to take lubricant with me but we managed with the neighbours lipsil! The next day I was at a local village hall and my wheel span like a cat. Wait a minute, I think a cat purrs in England whereas it spins in Sweden

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:28:53 am »
I was spinning at a local craft fair over the weekend, we had two official slots in the demonstration area and we took it in turns to spin beside our stand as well. It was very busy and it was inside, so nice and warm!

Next venue though will be on Castle St, off Princess Street in Edinburgh. In a marquee in late November, argh. It will be cold and definitely damp even if it isn't raining. Good thing spinners always have plenty of wooly things to wear. I'd definitely prefer nice crisp snow even if it was colder. Damp isn't very good for wheels.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 05:51:20 pm »
OOOH I am shivering with you. Edinburgh is always cold. The same weekend will see me in a cosy warm sports centre in Copenhagen.
  I find spinning isn't too bad. I swop between right and left hand lead to warm my fingers in the wool. It is the plying that hurts - nowhere to hide ;)

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 12:45:17 pm »
so many of these craft halls have polished wooden floors too, do you find the wheel is trying to slide away from you as you treadle girls? most annoying isn't it.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS