Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sore patch on both my ryelands??  (Read 3832 times)

candpdoyle

• Joined Jul 2009
  • whimple
sore patch on both my ryelands??
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:23:27 am »
HI There

while shearing my fatties yesterday i noticed they have a raw painfull looking patch on their chests.... does not really look like scab???  they are very overweight despite being on grass only for the last 3 months... so am wondering if it is some kind of pressure sore??? 

Am unsure of what to do about their weight??  they seem to be  some sort of cross breed with whales :D
was hoping to breed them in a couple of months, but their weight refuses to drop???

Cheers

Chris

Tullywood Farm

Re: sore patch on both my ryelands??
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 10:52:02 am »
Mint Sauce could be a solution for one of them   :yum: :yum: :yum:

Julie ;D

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:31:43 pm »
Have a few Ryelands and find that some of them are prone to having sore and even scabby chests along the breast plate.

I have found the best answer is to keep an eye on them (best time to look when turning to trim feet) and protect from flies if necessary, it's probably because they are a Downs breed  and have a bigger frame than mountain breeds and of course they are lazy.

Try putting them on a diet of eating straw in moderation to drop the weight, no concentrate and no goodies.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

candpdoyle

• Joined Jul 2009
  • whimple
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:30:02 pm »
cheers Kaz

I thought it might be related to their unique and mighty physique ;D

They only get a little concentrate for 1 week a month when i give them their vermex... and no treats at all... unless you count the apples that fall on the ground... oh and sometimes they raid the calves feed when she is looking the other way ::)...

Will keep my eye on them....

Cheers 

Chris

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:59:09 pm »
Try vaseline on the sores.  Should help heal and keep the flies off - or even spray on elastoplast!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:56:25 am »
looks like the sores that lame sheep get from lying down too much, check that they don't have scald or footrot. Another thing to try to keep sheep exercised is to put your feed troughs well away from the water troughs so the sheep have to walk from one to the other. If everything is handed on a plate they'll just lie around waiting for the butler... ie - you!!
Ian

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:16:05 am »
daft question im still new to sheep but why are you sup feeding during summer. no wonder they are slightly plump.

candpdoyle

• Joined Jul 2009
  • whimple
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 08:28:06 am »
they dont have any feed troughs.. they only get fed when worming as it is the easiest way to get them to eat their medicine... always hand feed them and make them come to me :)

Have recently introduced them to our new calf and she gives them loads of exercice ;D  she wants to play and chases them around the paddock ;D

they not lame, just very relaxed and like to lie around a lot.... they even graze in a heap.... not like the badger face's..... they all over the shop like a pair of goats... even climb the apple trees to get at the fruit ;D

Chris

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 08:51:16 am »
we are supplementary feeding because of the weather, Its cold and damp here and the lambs aren't putting down any fat layers so aren't fit enough to go to the butchers. since we sell by the box we need about 8 a month to 'feed' demand. Tups especially are hard to fatten at this time of year as they have started thinking of other things. Our lambs  are now between 7 and 9 months old. we are also feeding the odd ewe that has a low condition score as the up is going out next week
Ian

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 03:34:47 pm »
I am also feeding my 4 lambs as the weather has been terrible and they are not the weight I would expect them to be by now. We had planned for them to go at the end of this month I doubt they will be ready.  :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS