Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Genetic programming?  (Read 2909 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Genetic programming?
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:54:12 am »
Funny this, one of the new cats, Goldie, has been doing really well, getting on with other cats and dogs, and is very inquisitive generally.

Last night, our downstairs snake (8ft Brazilian rainbow boa) decided to shed his skin, so, in the artificial moonlight he comes out if his house and begins to shed his skin, this to humans is silent, he's also in a big locked vivarium with glass doors, anyway, this wakes Goldie up and she us fascinated for the 15 mins it takes, fascinated but very very wary of the tank (which she gas been fine with for the last 2 weeks) but still getting up close to it, so the snake finishes jus shed, gets in his water bath for a swim, gets out and slithers back into one of his houses never to be seen again

Cat won't go in the lounge now, not a chance, no way, not having it

I know for a fact she's never seen a snake before

Must be a genetic behaviour? Hard wired in her head, but the other two cats just arn't bothered, it's weird, hopefully she'll learn over time it's ok

Just thought it was an interesting behaviour

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Genetic programming?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:28:44 am »
I'm with Goldie on this  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 02:26:57 pm »
To us humans its a snake sheeding its skin but....In her head she's just seen one snake turn into two before her very eyes, probably thinks she's had too much catnip  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 02:41:27 pm »
I can quite understand where she is coming from - if I saw an 8ft snake in a room I wouldn't be too keen to go back in there either.  I don't mind small snakes but 8ft - no thanks!

Perhaps Goldie read that article in one of the newspapers a while ago about that b*stard that fed a kitten to his pet snake and posted it all on facebook or similar. 

Goldie doesn't fancy being a snakes next snack even if the snake is kept behind glass and can't get at her!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:00:25 pm »
Apparently, the reason ponies don't like hissing noises, such as fly sprays etc, is because it sounds like a snake. I'm sure its hard wired.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 09:09:06 pm »
When I had my Boa one of our dogs wouldn't go into my reptile room where as he had always gone in before I got the big snake. I think its just the size of them where as if they have grown up with the snake already being there they take no notice
Graham

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 09:35:44 pm »
She's just watched him eat his dinner & didn't freak so she's getting used, she isn't allowed in the exotics room, too many things (spiders) that could seriously damage her, she has seen my 14ft dwarf retic and didn't really bat an eyelid, mind I was carrying him at the time

I think your right,she's just not sure, all the other mammals in the house have grown up with the snakes and they're not bothered

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 11:48:52 am »
Can she hear it hissing? maybe its a familiar warning sign to cats as its what they do?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:52:13 am »
Snakes don't really hiss when they're safe, I.e in their tanks so it wasn't that

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:56:16 pm »
I don't blame her really I'm not too keen on most reptiles, snakes & tarantulas & other insect type pets like snails & stick insects sorry. Although I have had to hold a tarantula against my will - with my eyes closed I might add! & I do like tortoises & chameleons.

The dog as it happens is a brilliant spider hunter - & I don't know how or why but recently there has been a lot of big house spiders congregating in his water bowl - It is changed every few days & normally he squashes the spiders when killing them, so it's a mystery. ??? ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS