Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fencing  (Read 3249 times)

Mungo24

• Joined Jan 2013
Electric fencing
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:45:35 am »
Morning

I am looking to invest in an electric fencing system as I have been offered grazing but will have to provide my own fencing.

Has anyone any opinions on makes that are particularly good/bad? Accessories that are worth getting etc.

I am looking to get a 3 line system, i graze small paddocks (biggest is 5 acres atm), how long a fence would I need to go all the way round, rappa do a 600m reel....big enough?

Any advice great fully received.

Thanks

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: Electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 09:01:50 am »
I bought the rappa 3 reel 600m kit, I have used this around many different fields im pretty sure it went around a 5 acre no problem.
I have shetlands which aparantly are meant to escape all the time.... I have never had one escape from the fence

Very quick and easy to put up and take down :) well recommended :)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 09:21:02 am »
I use these - make sure you get wire not polyrope.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 11:22:46 am »
There is a option on 'Google Earth' where you can measure distances, that should give you an idea of length you'd need.
I have Rutland, expensive but been reliable, bought a cheap mains on off Ebay but its rubbish.
I just run one wire out and back again I would think the 3 reel system is quite expensive?

My 4.5 acre field is roughly 120Mx150M

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:32:41 am »
You can measure distances (and areas) on http://magic.defra.gov.uk/ too.  Very handy tool, once you work out how to use it :).

Mungo24

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 06:31:30 pm »
Thanks folks, I assume if the fence is shorter I can just go up and back with the same reel of wire if it is long enough.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 07:49:20 am »
You can measure distances (and areas) on http://magic.defra.gov.uk/ too.  Very handy tool, once you work out how to use it :) .

Never seen this before what a brilliant piece of kit  :thumbsup:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 10:13:46 am »
Thanks folks, I assume if the fence is shorter I can just go up and back with the same reel of wire if it is long enough.

Yes, I do that to give me more wires (4 or 5) rather than just 3.  You just need a suitable insulator at the other end to run it around, and similarly an insulator at the reel end to hook onto.  It does make it more time consuming to set up or move though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS