Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transportable dessert recipe required  (Read 3033 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Transportable dessert recipe required
« on: October 27, 2013, 01:03:36 pm »
We belong to a film club where, once a month, we have dinner before the film starts. Everyone brings something to eat, so we help ourselves from quite a range of things.
I often do a dessert and in the past have made triffle, courgette cake, fruit salad, pavlova. Others often bring crumble so I don't want to do that.
Would a large creme brulee work and if so do I just do the brulee or add some fruit to the bottom?
Other suggestions for recipe would be welcome. If I don't use them this time round then I could try them for future evenings.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Transportable dessert recipe required
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 01:16:19 pm »
A nice bread and butter pudding?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 01:17:21 pm »
A nice bread and butter pudding?
that sounds interesting. Would it be ok cold?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 01:26:20 pm »
its nicer hot or at least warm  and you can serve it with cream

Could you wrap it in a couple of towels or maybe an insulated bag - if you make a fairly deep biggish one it should keep its heat for quite a while.  I assumed if some were taking crumbles there was somewhere to keep them warm  :eyelashes:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 01:40:28 pm »
Profiteroles, cheesecake in a square tin so  you can cut it up into little squares, I love a trifle but what about summer pudding, maybe either with winter fruits, a take on the bread and butter one as I often make that with winter fruits with cinnamon in.  I have gone completely blank now  :idea:  veryone loves a fruit pie?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 01:51:46 pm »
Strangely enough the crumble is usually cold but no one seems to mind  :)
Now, fruit pie is a good idea. I have blackberry and apple already stewed in the freezer that would work well.  Profiteroles too but haven't made those for years and years. I might save them for a later date so that I can have a practice in between.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 05:55:37 pm »
I used to forage for berries and then poach them with brown sugar and cinnamon, ideal for winter puddings or putting on rice pudding, yoghurt or in crumble or pies or that bread pudding..... :thumbsup:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:06:29 am »
I'd have gone with the cheesecake.....or a fruit flan..or a syllabub...maybe eton mess....lemon meringue.....treacle tart.... :sunshine:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 08:49:41 am »
I've done fruit flan before and cheesecake but eton mess and also lemon meringue are good possibilities for another time as they all seem to love meringue. Treacle tart is also very tempting although I have never made it.  :thumbsup:

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 12:10:11 pm »
every year we have a big family get together usually just before Christmas as our family is scattered far and wide from devon to north yorks and many points in between- everyone brings some contribution and for some years now my OH's key Lime pie has been a regular and popular feature. I even made it one year- blooming scrummy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS