Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice for starting with ducks  (Read 5067 times)

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
Advice for starting with ducks
« on: October 27, 2013, 09:47:15 am »
Im thinking of getting some ducks, i have 30 hens so fine with them.
How does looking after them differ?

any advice wouls be greatly appreciated
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
Re: Advice for starting with ducks
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 12:55:08 pm »
I am no expert on ducks but I have kept hens for a good few years and added 5 ducks last year. The main difference is the need for water. Ducks need to be able to submerge their heads in water to keep their nostrils clear. A few buckets of water around the place will do. They will dirty them very quickly so need to be changed regularly. Also ducks don't roost, they sleep on the floor. Once there is some straw for nesting the should be fine. They also need a walk way into the house. We had a bit of a jump up for the hens that the ducks couldn't manage. Our birds all eat the same feed but the ducks can't eat from the bucket type feeder as they need to "scoop"  their food up so we put some feed into dishes for them. Other than that they are very similar to keeping hens. They don't get any other special treatment really and we get lovely eggs for baking with.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 01:01:59 pm »
You will find them much much messier. 

It will be best to keep them separate from the hens unless you choose to just have 2 or 3 Khaki Campbells to keep in with them.  They were a breed specifically bred to be kept with hens and also for their good laying qualities - Kotlang (sp) do the best commercial line I think - I only ever kept ducks for meat (don't like the taste of duck eggs)

Your ducks wont need swimming water unless they are a really heavy breed, and then only for breeding, but they really do enjoy splashing but an old paddling pool or childs sand pit will do the job and be easy to empty and clean out, which will need to be done frequently.

Ducks dont need protection from the weather so dont need shuting in at night but they are at big risk from foxes etc, and baby ducks will be taken by rats and crows so need special protection

Could say lots more, but need to get food cooked.  Ask if there is something else you need to know and I am sure others will be along soon as well
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 02:08:46 pm »
cheers, i think you have both covered pretty much everything except nest boxes, will they need an easy access nest area, or will they just decide one corner of the hut is the nest area?

:thumbsup:  thanks for the detailed replies

BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 06:06:51 pm »
I used a barrel on its side with a hole cut in the top to get the eggs out.  If I put in plenty of shavings it kept the eggs really clean.  They will hide their eggs so you have to fish round in the shavings to see whats in there,  and lots of ducks will abandon laying in a specific place if they see you taking the eggs.

But just a heap of shavings in a corner would do just as well  - You have to keep them in a confined space till they have laid (11 am is late enough to let them out) otherwise the eggs will be everywhere including the pond

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 11:35:54 pm »
I think eggs is quite variable. They don't need a nest box - where they lay seems to vary by day. Mine have always laid before I let them out in the morning (about 8am), normally in one corner of the house. I've only got two laying at the moment and they both lay in the same place even if that place varies - so every day I get two eggs in one corner or another.

I've got a big dog bath which I use as a cleanable pond and they love it. Ducks really do love water - so much more than my geese - they go crazy when I put clean water in for them. Unless you've got running water, don't try and dig a pond because they muck it up so quickly. Best to have something you can empty out and clean easily. I clean the dog bath every few days but make sure they have clean water in a trug or bowl every day for their eyes.

I've got Silver Appleyards, Cayugas and an Aylesbury and they've all been fine with the chickens and geese until recently. I've separated them all out now though.

H

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 07:25:35 am »
We got some ducks this year. They are pretty trouble free. We entice them into an ark with attached run at night with some corn. Otherwise they're free to roam but they don't go far. They seem to hang out in the same areas as our geese and chickens but they keep themselves to themselves. They make use of a big old pig wallow that's full of water and we also provide them with buckets to drink and wash in. Now they're fully grown we don't feed them as they have a huge area to forage, just the corn in the evening. I don't expect to see any eggs until the new year so will tackle any arrangements that need to be made for laying when they start. We do have a stream at the bottom of our fields but even though we've driven the geese and ducks down there several times they still can't be bothered to walk down there.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 10:01:57 am »
I'm guessing as you have 30 hens already that noise isn't going to be a problem? :)

I've recently got some Muscovys as I am in an urban area and they are deadly quiet.

Not the prettiest duck but a good heavy meat bird.

Mine just roam around the garden eating worms, slugs and snails, wish i'd got them years ago!

I've got a 9' x 6' pond now but to be honest when i first got them I had a hastily dug 3' x 3' x 1' deep pond that did them fine.

They only go in to clean up and i rarely see them in it.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 02:42:39 pm »

It will be best to keep them separate from the hens unless you choose to just have 2 or 3 Khaki Campbells to keep in with them.  They were a breed specifically bred to be kept with hens and also for their good laying qualities - Kotlang (sp) do the best commercial line I think - I only ever kept ducks for meat (don't like the taste of duck eggs)

what makes them more suitable for keeping with hens out of interest? I had a pet KC drake when I was a kid-he could honk like a goose but he was a lovely boy. I am tempted to get some ducks next year but am aware of the mess  :-\

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 02:53:47 pm »
Its just the wet mess they when you keep ducks in with hens - dampness is a hens enemy, as being woodland creatures dry conditions suit them best. 

Mrs Campbell who bred them was looking for something less messy than the general ducks around at the time so they could be kept in with hens but she was also breeding for egg production

They are very good foragers and dont need swimming water, just deep enough to keep their eyes clean.  If you want them for egg laying - a Khaki Campbell held the world record for egg production for many years - then do make sure you go for a proper commercial line. As with much poultry, once show and hobby breeders start then production often goes by the board.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 03:36:49 pm »
thankyou DBE, very useful :) at what age do they stop laying?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 05:27:42 pm »
Not sure - as I say I dont eat duck eggs and only really kept them for meat plus the ornamental crested ones - mind you those made good eating too  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS