Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: costs  (Read 3717 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
costs
« on: August 16, 2009, 07:43:22 pm »
ive asked a few questions prior to deciding whether to get 2 pigs, lots of room rough grass nettles thistles etc hopefully they would clear, but has anyone done a full costing on bringing a free range pig to the table including the waste of the bits i would never use. ie head, trotters,.... inc butchering etc

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: costs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:07:51 pm »
its cheaper to buy the pork but no where as near as much fun.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 08:09:48 pm »
And it never tastes as good!!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:40:16 pm »
much like poultry then.........

snowcloud

• Joined Aug 2009
  • New Forest, Hants
    • Stinky Cabbage Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:49:36 pm »
Well worth trying - but not a cheap way to get some pork. They will clear your ground though, including digging out all the roots. I have lots of hog-weed - very invasive, but the pigs love it (hence the name of the weed!) and cleared the lot - and everything else including all the buried rubble! The satisfaction of seeing such happy animals is a joy though.

sandy

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:42:41 pm »
Love the photo!!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 11:00:34 am »
As a rough guide it will cost approx £300 allowing for complete rations from weaning, slaughter charges ,butchers charges.This does not include housing as that can cost next to nothing right up to a couple of hundred depending on your circumstances. Nor does it include fencing.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 08:21:55 pm »
ive got electric fences, straw bales for housing... might get a couple just to clear the land............... so if all advice is true and ime sure it is all these reports of D I Y stores now stocking pig kennels due to the credit crunch as people are rearing there own food may be in for a shock, finding its cheaper to buy the cuts they want........ next year going to be a shed load of 2nd hand kennels about............ on a simalar line i just cant be bothered to grow veg, you get it when theres tons of it about and cheap, i buy from the front of peoples gardens, got a great marrow today 30p, 90p in a weirdo shop, ive tried to grow a bit but last year tomato blite, then the birds, insects, squirells etc etc, i will stick to livestock.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:18:50 pm »
thats a good idea see if there is a market garden near you they will have loads of green waste that im sure they will be happy to lose. same with orchards.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS