Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tropical fish  (Read 3828 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
tropical fish
« on: October 25, 2013, 10:58:14 pm »
I just thought, i will have to give up my fish tank when we move...  :thinking:
maybe the son will keep it ...anyway here are my babies, who else keeps a few fishy friends

my little 3ft fish tank

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: tropical fish
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:26:18 pm »
Me, nothing exciting though, just a big load of headlight tetras (about 40 of them) they're all called Janice

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:45:35 am »
We took on a fish tank while I was at uni, a lecturer was moving house and couldn't keep it.
At the time it had a large cichlid, a 6" silver dollar and a heap of goldfish and zebra fish!
We still have the silver dollar and large goldfish, the angel fish we got died recently, but we also have a leopard spotted plecostomus, a zebra fish, a tetra and a scissor tail.
When we moved from Hertfordshire to Aberdeenshire, the fish tank came with us, and the fish all survived (including the angel fish with her delicate fins!).
It was a 14 hour ordeal of a trip, but they were all packaged in individual bags with a small amount of water, an oxygen tablet (easily available on ebay), and the bags kept in polystyrene boxes. Reacclimatised at the other end by floating in the new water, gradually mixing it into the water in the bag before releasing.
Hope your son enjoys them, or bring them with you!

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 08:35:42 am »
the problem we will have is .... we will be moving into a static caravan to start with, and the electric may not be on for a few weeks ...we will run a genny ,only when needed

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 09:23:15 am »
Maybe your son could look after them and you could have them back when the electricity is up and running  :)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 09:42:09 am »
I used to have 2 tanks and loads of different fish, particularly loved guppies for the colour variations and rarely resisted a new one or breeding a few more!  Also had loaches and plecos, neons, danios, loved the leopard marked ones, zebras, all sorts I can't even remember names for now..

When I moved from London to Perthshire I left the fish with friends because I didn't initially know where I'd be staying let alone I drove up with only the essentials in the back of a metro til I got myself a year rental on a farm cottage and the rest of the furniture and stuff remained in the flat in London for several months til it was sold  :o   At that point I brought the tanks intending to set them up again once I was settled, but never did and finally sold the tanks in the local papers when short of cash and clearing stuff I wasn't using.  Sometimes I regret it but if I didn't have all the ponies and cats and chooks to feed and clear up after then maybe I'd get another tank, at this point it'd just be another drain on the leccy bill and another cleaning job!  Not sure the cats would be nice either  ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 10:05:15 am »
Used to keep both freshwater and marines but had nowhere suitable in the last house. Now we have room I would love to set up again but can't justify the expense at the moment (especially as the tank I would most like would be a Deltec marine setup). It's on my wish list but after lots of other things (chooks, goats, dexters!) so may be a while yet.

Helen

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 10:22:13 am »
I would love a marine set up, but they are so time consuming, not just the cleaning, feeding, but the watching  :roflanim: they are just fantastic,

i will more than likely give the tank to my grandson, he is 5 so a good age to learn (obviously with his dad)

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 11:49:12 am »
Always wanted a marine setup when our goldfish die. However we have had the 2 of them for 10 years, through 3 house moves and they show no sign of going yet.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 01:46:37 pm »
I used to "have" over half a million trout....

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 12:44:34 am »
My dad used to keep several tanks and my younger brother still is into tropical fish. I do love to watch them but don't want the responsibility of keeping them myself. Dad had most of the ones people have mentioned. My favourite was one called a plecostomus (SP?) which acted like a hoover and kept the glass clear.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 08:38:51 am »
Hey Steve where did you have your trout fishery, or did you just supply ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS