Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: smoked hams and bacon (how to smoke )  (Read 2302 times)

jazenta

• Joined Sep 2013
smoked hams and bacon (how to smoke )
« on: October 19, 2013, 10:20:56 pm »
??? ??? ???ok never posted before just read lots of intersting stuff. Well my tamworths are growing nicely and I am awaiting the day that they go off (well actually they are not leaving the premises) to be made ready for some lovely pork, bacon and hams and maybe a few sausages.
Here is the question has anyone any advice tips techniques to smoke hams and bacon (oh yea and I don't have a smoker lol- can I make one- does anyone know how)
many thanks for any help in advance

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
Re: smoked hams and bacon (how to smoke )
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:56:26 am »
We have had a little play with smoking food. Have found the Pro Q Cold Smoker pretty good for smoking side's of bacon, ham's etc at not too much cost. Following is a link to the item - sure we found for less though

http://www.forfoodsmokers.co.uk/acatalog/New_Cold_Smoke_Generator.html#a146

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:02:09 am »
if you look through the diary on here (look at the top of the page) and look back through i remember some experiments in smoking stuff from Dan in there i believe.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 01:05:43 pm »
I have a nice little book on the subject, I'll be back in a bit, when I've found it to give you the title and the author.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 11:52:39 pm »
An excellent book: http://www.smokyjos.co.uk/smoking_food_at_home_with_smoky_jo_book.htm
Even tells you how to make a smoker out of old, disused stuff, e.g. a filing cabinet.
They also run courses.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

jazenta

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:15:34 pm »
many thanks folks so helpful I have accessed the information you suggest and hey we are going to be good to go just need to get my head around when the tams need to go to the man with the knife so to speak.so am putting another post up about that .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS