Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BBC 2 tonight Thursday 24th October 9pm  (Read 7668 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
BBC 2 tonight Thursday 24th October 9pm
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:13:46 pm »
The Croft with no electricity - should be interesting
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Victorian Farmer

Re: BBC 2 tonight Thursday 24th October 9pm
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:55 pm »
Glen afric nr invernes very hard up here you ok doganjoe

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:50:45 pm »
Oh I know, pretty hard at Bonnyton near Old Rayne too.  Heard this morning that the house next to the one I built there blew up - calor gas leak they think.  Fortunately no injuries, all five got out safely, but pretty shaken and the house is a demolish and compete rebuild job I was told.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/3444728
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:18:05 pm »
The Croft with no electricity - should be interesting

Really enjoyed watching it, great couple and kids. Tho I think If they got their wish they would think it a double edged sword as the electric gizmos would follow and enslave them in other ways...but I guess a more comfy slavery!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:32:55 pm »
Looks like I'll be on iplayer tomorrow.

Annie, that fire looks bad. Do they know what caused it?

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 08:14:27 am »
Disgraceful that they can't be hooked to the national grid unless they pay for it themselves. All they want is what (almost) everyone else has for free, they are not trying to get special treatment.

Otherwise, an interesting program and they came across really well. Lovely kids. The older ones seemed so responsible and mature. And I love the sound of a three day horse ride, that just looked amazing! Probably rather weather dependant though..

Not impressed they shot a sheepy in front of its flockmates though - not nice.  :gloomy:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 08:43:46 am »
I enjoyed the programme and thought it was very well produced and put together,  although it certainly looks a very  hard life, electricity would  make it a hell of a lot more  bearable in my opinion, the lack of light is possibly the most important for the children, they  have a lot of extra distractions in their life than most children so they are doing very well and appear grounded and grown up.
 I did not like the sheep being shot in front of the others either, I thought he should have separated them but the other sheep did not appear to care, I have no problem with the shooting of it and eating of it, its meat after all.
I enjoyed it that much I did not get up once!!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 10:12:16 am »
Well it shows haw hard it is health and safety out the window if he had skills he could of build a genarater plant .You could use a van engine etc 6 or 8 kva .cold never bothers us the highlands are very hard living and no comforts I don't live on my dads croft I live on a holaday village with a countrey club yards a way Linda kids will not move to the croft so when dad goes that's it . I'm taking a year out next years to be with him .He has Parkinson's .I will be ok just doing  whot I wont.

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 01:00:21 pm »
I thought it was a wonderful programme. it really shows how rich life can be if you work hard, and they certainly do.

livestock have no concept of death, the other animals had no idea what was going on.

good on them, those kids will have a grounding and skills beyond any of their peers.

loved it

d

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 01:23:56 pm »
Altho it wouldn't have been the answer all the time, and obviously they wouldn't get the fITpayments, I didn't see why the pylon firms didn't just donate them a load of solar panels and a turbine free, that way the FITs wouldn't have been so much of an issue as they wouldn't have shelled out. But maybe I'm missing something.

A slight part of me thinks, if you choose to live somewhere with no electric then thats the deal, but I think with massive pylons marching across your view it makes it a bit more reasonable to say they should be hooked up.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 05:20:18 pm »
Annie, that fire looks bad. Do they know what caused it?

They had a liquid gas cooker and one of the bottles exploded when the boiler came on in the morning - big bang woke up the whole hamlet, instant flames, roof fell in; utility room walls blew out.  I think the house is almost a write off.

I just heard that the house is totally destroyed and has been condemned
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:24:37 pm by doganjo »

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 07:19:10 pm »
Glad you are OK Annie, scary thing to happen. Have to disagree about animals and death.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 10:16:14 pm »
not a million miles from us either, beautiful place and a cracking family. makes a nice change to see someone who has even more 'useful' junk lying around their house than us  :innocent:
but we can beat them on the round trip to school issue, my boys do 90 miles round trip every day!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 12:15:26 am »
Looks like I've missed it. I haven't had time to watch it this week and BBC only keep things for a week. Shame. I would have been interested.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 10:30:49 am »
BBC iPlayer - Power to the Pococks: A Year in the Life of a Crofting Family                                                 there you go

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS