Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming  (Read 2841 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Worming
« on: August 16, 2009, 11:50:49 am »
I'm moving our ewes (and lambs at some point) into a rented field. It hasn't "officially" been grazed by sheep in eight years but some of the sheep in the next field used to come through before we fixed the fence 5 weeks ago. It's a six acre field and there would have been no more than a dozen lambs on it at any one time, probably over the last three months. It should, therefore, be reasonably worm free, yes?

I thought I woudl worm our sheep before I move them over but what's the timing? I know there's something about letting the wormer work for 24 hours. So should I worm the sheep and leave them on their current grazing for 24 hours OR worm and move immediately? Or something completely different?

Pigs are sooooo easy!

Thanks

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Worming
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 12:33:25 pm »
bring the sheep into the pens and leave them to stand for a couple of hours to 'empty out'. Then worm to the correct dosage and keep them in-bye for 24 hours before moving.

Having said that lots of people just get on with it and move straight away. so I don't think too many people will be worried about the practicalities
Ian

PuBS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • National
    • PuBSForum
Re: Worming
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 01:23:06 pm »
Dont rely on the grazing being worm free either, a cut of hay or silage helps REDUCE worm burdens on pasture but will never eliminate it.
The worst enemy of your sheep is another sheep - lambs are likely to have contaminated the pasture especially if the worming regime of their owner is to the same standard as his fencing.
Nickcordery
PuBSadmin
www.pubs.myfunforum.org

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS