Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Artificial lights and does  (Read 1296 times)

Northlands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Great Ouseburn
Artificial lights and does
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:22:23 pm »
Hi all
I know that goats come into season during the autumn caused by the shortening days. I was just wondering if anybody knew if artificial lights had an impact on this, as I always leave a light on in there shed. Its not bright and only at the end where the food is.  Do you think this will have any impact?  I was hoping to put the Billy in this weekend, I have not seen any come in season yet.

Thanks
Michael
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:49:29 pm by bowesmansion »

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Artificial lights and does
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:05:30 pm »
Yes the shorter days are part of the cycle but also the daylight value/light is a contributory factor.
Every time when the daylight has been  poor recently, another of my girls would screaming for a man the following day.   By leaving a light on for the 24 hours, it could be delaying the onset of the girls coming into season.
I would suggest turning the light off around 6pm until 12 hours later if you want to mate the girls soon.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Artificial lights and does
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:20:42 pm »
One of our herds have all been in season this year, the ones we have not covered have been in twice and we always put the lights on just before dark until 11pm when we do the last check.
The other herd has 7 adult Does, non of that herd have been in season yet. They are going on the natural daylight hours with no extra lights
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS