Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cause of loss of fur  (Read 7038 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
cause of loss of fur
« on: August 15, 2009, 08:08:46 pm »
my cat is around 14 years old and over the last few months she gradually lost her fur on her belly, just some thin fluff is remaining. The area is now getting larger moving onto her legs. She seems to be fine in herself, no change in eating patterns. Has anyone come across something like this or knows if it could be a deficiency of something - before I take her to the vet ?  :cat: :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: cause of loss of fur
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 09:17:20 pm »
Have you noticed her washing excessively? Ie has she done this herself, maybe a skin irritant, or even boredom if shes not getting out and about as much (like caged birds feather stripping).
Have you washed her bedding in something different? (happened with my mates dog!)
Could be a mineral deficiency, give her lots of fish!
See if your insurance or eg pedigree petfood or something have a phone help line and could advise..
Try www.allaboutpets.org.uk
Good luck.  I love cats!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:26:56 pm by little blue »
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:30:06 pm »
thanks for your feedback, LB. She's always out, a brilliant mouser. She sleeps wherever she wants in the house, not in her own bedding. No insurance, as she was over 10 when we gave her a new home...
I'll start with giving her more mineral treats, she loves them.  :cat: :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:57:31 pm »
no sign of ringworm or beasties I take it?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:55:45 pm »
she just had the spot on a few weeks ago - should have dealt with all that?? No other beasties visible either  :cat: :&>

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:11:59 pm »
Could be she has a thryoid problem which is common in older cats  :cat:

lab7

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Perth
    • The Veterinary Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:34:22 am »
Hi, The commonest reasons for fur loss on the abdomen are fleas (makes them itchy so they overgroom and remove the fur themselves), or in an older cat, hyperthyroidism. Is she losing weight as well?
Mary

http://www.vetsinperth.com/

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 10:30:20 pm »
Thanks! No sign of fleas, but she is very thin and seems to object to touch a bit more than she used to. Will she need a blood test?  :cat: :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 12:41:21 pm »
Yes, I would think so.
Research possible causes to discuss with vet - it might help keep costs down if you have some idea what it is (or isn't)
Does sound like thyroid. Or has she any lumps or bumps?
Little Blue

acorn zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 10:13:14 pm »
could be the spot on? I have seen a couple of cats have reactions to them from time to time. I breed pedigree cats and also have a large boarding cattery.

Laura

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 11:30:10 pm »
My young dog has just recovered from a similar reaction to pet shop bought spot on. He was very upset.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 09:00:24 pm »
poor fella.  can I ask which brand?
We used a well known one on Sheba, but it didnt kill all the visitors - probably a combination of very thick GSD hair, and the fact she has a shower every day....
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 09:55:24 pm »
Why in heavens name does your dog get a shower every day!  That will really dry up her coat!  Takes all the natural oils out - does the same to humans!  Dogs don't need baths unless they have rolled in something their owners don't like.

The shop preparation I used didn't kill all the little beggars either, nor the flea collars they'd all four of them had on for weeks! >:(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 02:32:03 pm »
I took her to the vet today and she gave her a sound check-up and doesn't think it's serious. Kitty had shots for worms and other parasites and one to stop the itching. She said it could be stress related, but that can't be it. No other cats around and she can do as she pleases and has a good feeding routine...We are to go back if there is no improvement in a few weeks time, fingers crossed!  :cat: :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 08:42:39 pm »
Why in heavens name does your dog get a shower every day!
She's a very bizzare rescued GSD, she sleeps in the bathroom as the door is the most secure to keep her from eating the cats.  The first morning after we had her, I kept her in the bathroom with me, and she decided to join me in the shower... I wasn't going to argue with a 30 kilo dog I didnt really know, who was having the most fun she'd probably had in her life!
Her fur is still shiny, and waterproof, she never has shampoo or anything on it, and gets dried and brushed every day.  And if she has to wait too long after being let out in the morning, she just goes up and sits in the shower waiting for it to be turned on. 
She really enjoys playing in the water, we wonder if it was her entertainment when she was chained up as a puppy in the rain or something, as she obviously had very little play, just abuse.
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS