Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Female goat in heat??  (Read 3186 times)

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
Female goat in heat??
« on: October 22, 2013, 01:02:30 pm »
How do you know when a female goat is in heat?? A
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Female goat in heat??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:12:39 pm »
Now where to start !!!!!
These are afew of the signs....there are many more:
Wagging tail that appears to be damp on the edges
Rather glowingly pink in the rear end dept !
Very vocal or quiet in a goat that is normally vocal.
A female that stares at you as if trying to tell you something !!!!!!.........often yelling at the same time.
The one in season will often jump on others.
At this time of year, the 'in season' bit can be as long as 3/4 days..........always good to attempt a service on 1st/2nd day because if she wont stand then, you lnow she will on the 3rd day.  The length of time in active heat gets less with each passing month till January/February when it could be as little as a few hours.  At this point...Feb....... it may take an experienced goat keeper to detect the female is on heat particularly of you do not have an entire male on the premises.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:35:57 pm »
-The wagging tail is ususally more obvious than the normal 'irritation' wag.
-I think mine have always been VERY vocal, sold one to a local farmer and he thought she was ill, I had to go and look, just said 'she wants a boyfriend'
-Mine are also a bit naughty, the only time I nearly lost a goat she obviously didn't want to wait while I found her a boyfriend, went to get them in, she jumped a fence and headed onto the council estate, running up through a narrow path someone was walking down, I shouted 'wave your arms' but she jumped to one side ::) , (don't blame her really, probably never seen a goat before), eventually cornered Heidi in a garden, don't know if the owners were watching LOL.
-The 'glowingly pink' I noticed for the first time this year was also a bit 'puffy' (or was this because it is a 6mnth kid?)
When the kid was in season about 2 wk ago it was 2 adults who were trying to jump on her? or is that more a dominence thing?
Never noticed the staring bit - but mine are always looking at me watching what I'm doing, I'll take more note next time.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:13:28 pm »
My first goat was EXTREMELY vocal. All day and night she informed the world that she wanted a Maaaaaaan! She also did her utmost to escape. It was the only time she would jump the fence. Her daughter is much quieter and in season for a shorter time. I'm waiting to see if Cloud comes into season. She didn't last year although she was born in the February but someone on here said that Boers tend to mature later so there's hope for this year.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 04:17:03 am »
We need ear defenders, especially "Joy" 4 solid days usually of MAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN even while eating. If you are not sure , just place your hands each side of her hips when she's wagging see if she responds. :innocent:

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:51:03 am »
Thanks for all they info
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 03:20:49 pm »
One of my girls is making a terrible noise today, not going to the billy this time, am I right in that they should come back in season in another 3 weeks?
Anne

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:58:17 pm »
Yes she should come back in season in 3 weeks time
Graham

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 08:18:47 am »
Sometime the females are mounting each other. Especially the dominative ones.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS