Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weird question  (Read 6715 times)

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
Weird question
« on: August 08, 2009, 04:55:04 pm »
I am preparing fro a job interview with a solicitors.  :o  It's the second interview and they want me to research the equine sector in terms of people who on horses, people who manage or work in an equine industry; purchasing horses, land, riding establishments, company contracts, sales and formation of businesses and figure out what i would suggest to expand and achieve further growth in the equine field through marketing activities.

So my questions:
1. How would you go about finding a solicitor for any of the above needs? Word of mouth, follow advertising, own research etc.
2. Is there any kind of activity that would make you choose one solicitor over another? eg, advertising, incentives, website, seminars, etc
3. Anything that would put you off a solicitor? trying to reach to many industries, location, advertising,etc.

If anyone can take the time to answer these quick questions I would be really grateful as the equine industry is something I have no experience in. Also, an indication of what service you would use a solicitor for would be grand for helping me with my research.

Many thanks guys and sorry for the randomness of the questions.

Helen.  :)

Hardfeather

Re: Weird question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:42:18 pm »
As a member of the BHS, my first port of call would be their free legal advice helpline. It offers advice on non-equine related subjects as well, incidently.

If I were to search for a solicitor locally, I'd probably speak to yard owners and livery clients to get a recommendation, if possible. I would also look for advertisments in equine/agricultural press.

I have to say, I'd probably not seek a solicitor from, say, Edinburgh or Aberdeen, if there were a more rural, or market town option available..........

Not a lot of info for you there, but it may start the ball rolling. :)

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:32:55 am »
Hey, Thanks for the thoughts, very useful.
I am assuming most people will go for wod of mouth when looking and using this as my premise.  Might take a staw poll at work.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 12:43:13 pm »
Advertising in the Horse and Hound and Country Life would be the best start for getting
people with plenty of money into your solicitors office.

My friend who sells swimming pools and associated chemicals etc has done well canvassing such magazines.
The Hunter is another good one, depends on where you are based - target people then areas.

Julie

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:02:59 am »
Advertising in the Horse and Hound and Country Life would be the best start for getting
people with plenty of money into your solicitors office.

My friend who sells swimming pools and associated chemicals etc has done well canvassing such magazines.
The Hunter is another good one, depends on where you are based - target people then areas.

Julie

But please don't forget the people with very little money or assets who have need of professional legal help.  ::)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:15:23 am »
My ponies are insured through the BHS (British Horse Society) for public liability, and also two of them via NFU for vets fees etc.  So, I assume, most people would look to their insurers for a solicitor, as they will provide legal help I am sure.

Other than that, I would more than likely use a solicitor I have used for house conveyancing etc. in the past, or one someone recommended to me.

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 02:10:42 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys.  Had the second interview this morning. I spent ages on the report and gathering evidence and they hardly asked for any of it.  Oh well. At least I was prepared.

I know everyone says you can get all sorts of help on here but who thought interview help would be one?!?

anyway, thanks again one and all!  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 03:38:50 pm »
So what DID they ask?  And are you getting the job?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 09:13:11 pm »
they asked me how I went about researching the competition and the equine industry. I said I had conducted a straw poll to find out how people chose solicitors, they asked how I did that.  I said I asked on the small holder forum I was on and other colleagues, friends and family.  They were very interested int he smallholding thing and asked why I was interested in it and if I always had a passion for growing my own food.  Then they asked me random stuff like why I thought I was fun loving and what I did for fun.

I don't know if I got the job. There was three of us for the second stage and we are supposed to find out by the end of the week.  Thanks for asking.
hfw  ;D

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:39:50 pm »
Fingers crossed for you troubled Waters...do we get special rates if you get the job?

Farmer  ;)
 :farmer:

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 09:47:42 am »
Sorry Farmer, no special rates. I do a little free lance marketing assistant work and the guy actually asked me why I wanted to work in the most junior position in the marketing team as I already freelance....errrr...because I need to pay my mortgage. Do you think I want to earn this little when you are planning on working me into the ground?!?

I think they were wondering why a 30 year old wanted a job at the bottom, esp as I saw the next girl to go in and she wasn't even 20! But I am only just starting my journey and you have to start somewhere.  Firms are wary of taking you on that late tho. Its not even as if I am that old, just not found my thing yet.

Oh well we shall see.  Anyway, the quick answer would have been, 'no, sorry position to minor'.

;D :o ;D

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Weird question - updated
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 04:49:18 pm »
Well I didn't get the job.  Apparently it was a close run thing (yeah yeah) with the girl that got it.  They thought I was great but she had the edge.  Just so fed up with job hunting.  I have been looking for 2 and a half years!! and only temping in the meantime.  Just feel rubbish and like I let myself dowm as fell down on an Excel test which I am usually very good at. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

Thanks to everyone for the help/support.

hfw.

sandy

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 05:19:03 pm »
I always think something stops us getting unsuitable jobs, maybe itwas n't right for you and the right job will come along that you are suited to. Keep trying, I know how down you can feel when you don't get a job. I went for one somewhere I was working already as an agency worker, I was actualy still working at the place (special school) when I was being interviewed and it put me off a bit, and I had to deal with  a mino incident that shock me a bit as a snooker ball hit me in the chest!!! Anyway, t hey gave the job to the only male applicant as there was a need for male staff as it was a boy's school, and, he only lasted a week before he left, he could not sitck it.....I left to as I had another agency post to go to!!!!!! serve um right, the younger girl will let them down and they will regret it  :D :D

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 10:08:50 pm »
Sorry you didn't get the job TW...their loss I'm sure...just remember that if you had got the job you might well have missed the one that fate is holding for you...and that's the one you really want.

About thirty something years ago I was advertising for a PA and was contacted by a lady who began our conversation by saying" Hello, I understand you've been looking for me"? When I asked who she was she replied "I'm the person you've been advertising for". Naturally this intrigued me so I invited her for an interview...when she arrived she started off by asking me why, if offered the post, she should want the job and what the prospects were...in other words she conducted the interview, which really took me by surprise...needless to say she was hired! She worked for me for almost twelve years, during which time I was best man at her wedding and became God Father to her first born son...sadly after moving to Australia she was killed in an auto accident some years later...but I've never forgotten her and always appreciated her allowing me to employ her!  The point I'm making is...next time try being proactive and let them know that not engaging you could be a big mistake!!

This probably doesn't help much at present...but give it some thought

Regards
Farmer
 :farmer:

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 04:56:12 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I know its supposed to be character building and all that and my two mottos in life are:
what doesn't kill u makes u stronger
and
work to live don't live to work

but it is hard to follow this and its been knock back after knock back the last couple of years. my confidence is rock bottom and i feel unemployable. deep down i know this is not true as many of my temp employers have wished to keep me but you get days don't u?!?

i have two months to the end of this contract so i better get searching again. sod em all, I will get a better job in the end. anyway thanks again folks, so very kind!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS