Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much shelter do goats really need?  (Read 12239 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: How much shelter do goats really need?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 09:37:58 am »
If you are wanting to avoid trouble with rspca etc, I would follow the official guidelines in the defra handbook. A shed is must, whether the goats have the brains to use it enough to be free range and healthy, rather than locked in would need a bit of judgement. Our first goats couldn't make a decision so had sore feet. Our later goats had a shed and a paddock,but were thinner than the ones in the stable., even though food was the same.
My billies are still out 24/7, but will be up for winter soon, then they will be in until April.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 11:53:35 am »
Never had any porblem with goats being thick - quite the opposite they are quite intelligent!   I would much rather my goats had the freedom of our 10 acres with a few options of shelter, all year round, rather than shut in a building - and I'm sure they think the same!  Ok they can't do wet, but they can do cold very well.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 06:57:21 pm »
Goats always need shelter, they are very vulnerable to low temperatures and rain. Wet goat is losing a lot of energy and can get bad cold easily. I keep my horses out 24/7 but goats are always in for the night or in the bad weather.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 08:11:52 pm »
My billy has a field shelter, half of front is open to the south. rest of gang are in at night (in summer out morn till night so I tried to persuade them to camp out but they like their cosy beds) they have a 2m x 2m 'table' shaped shelter for if it rains during the day, but cold wet weather (yesterday) they were only out an hour when it rained, I brought them in.
Shelter should basicly have good overhead ventilation but dry and no droughts.
Boers seem to have thicker coats and rain doesn't seem to bother them, they'll be out grazing when the big girls are under the shelter.
* Imagine being out in the cold wind and rain without a hat or waterproofs, no warm house to retreat to, Goats hair is very much like ours. put your hand on a wet goat and you can feel the heat coming out as it tries to warm itself up.
They may be fat now, but I think they'll soon lose that if they have to burn that fat to keep warm.
So yes I would agree with the neighbours, esp. as winter comes on and the hedge loses its leaves.
Sorry if this sounds like a rant - just my thoughts.

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 08:38:05 pm »
My goats live out all year round however they have free access to a barn, and I can guarantee they will be in that barn within a nanosecond of any rain coming on :raining: and if that rain is prolonged they will call for me to bring them hay!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 07:16:57 pm »
in a word she is right I suppose, any goat keeping guide I've read always states they should have access to a shelter of some description.
Mine sleep in the barn at night and will stay in if its a particularly bad day but they also have field shelter for any passing showers if they are down the field, mine hate to get wet and very often will disappear in to the shelter before the first spot of rain hits the ground. Another reason they should have a shed/shelter is that if one of them comes down with something you have the opportunity to isolate it to prevent spread of disease.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 08:12:39 pm »
 :D Mays is right ! My girls are the same, they need good shelter. :goat:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 12:23:08 am »
Cattle, horses and sheep do not have a central parting in the hair on their back, goats do have a central parting like us. Therefore when it rains, if they are out in it, the rain can soak straight down to the skin, which if they then catch a chill can cause pneumonia. Goats do not suffer from diseases like sheep if they are housed for a long period of time. Some goats are even keep as yarded animals. Dairy cows nowadays are often kept indoors- goats can be more similar dairy cows than sheep.

Its all very well letting the goats choose where they want to shelter, but there should be a building there to shelter in, even if it is just an open field shelter. I would also say there ought to be someplace where they could stand out of mud, so a dry floor or paving slabs down would create that. I would have reported your neighbour by now (well actually I'd have told them in no uncertain terms, and if nothing changed I'd be reporting them).

Beth

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 11:00:01 am »
When one of our local farmers had a Pygmy billy dumped in amongst his sheep in terrible weather, he couldn't get near it so took out a trailer and parked it in the field so the goat could shelter under it.
Anne

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 11:12:48 pm »
That was kind.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS