Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Driving in India?  (Read 2780 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Driving in India?
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:10:55 pm »
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:55:28 pm by tizaala »

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Driving in India?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:09:28 pm »
We went on holiday to India for a special treat - and we had a driver and an Ambassador car for 2 weeks driving around various wildlife areas and cities.

The driving 'rules' seem almost non-existent - on some of the wider roads we saw a moped (with 3 up) being overtaken by a small car, being over taken by a heavily overladen lorry being overtaken by a bus - all that lot were coming towards us - as we over took a moped and a heavy overladen lorry etc, etc... And all of us were avoiding some cattle that happened to decide that the side of the road was a good place to go for a walk.

Interesting being a passenger in such circumstances.

Sue

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 12:20:28 pm »
its the same in Nepal
we were coming down a mountain pass , just entering a small village, the road was wide enough for 1 & 1/2 coaches

our coach started going through the village as one was coming up through the village, they couldn't work out why there was not enough room  :roflanim: :roflanim: then all of a sudden, there was this awful scratching scrapping noise, as the two coaches past each other, on the other side, the roofs of the houses where lifting  :roflanim:

that was some experience, yet the drivers never batted an eyelid , nor did they stop to assess the damage...in a word....Crazy

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 02:04:22 pm »
Sounds like the lorries and buses shoving past eachother on the road outside my house  :roflanim:   Occasionally one tips into the field, but not as far to drop as in Nepal  :o

Tizaala - your link came through as loads of computer speak so I haven't been able to view it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 02:07:31 pm »
Oh God - nepal.... the yaks on the mountain passes......... and that's nothing compared to finding a herd of yaks (or Tzo above Lukla) belting towards you when you are halfway across one of those rickety rope bridges.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:03:38 pm »
we're just back from a fortnight in Kathmandu and l it's been absolutely fabulous as a passenger! Like in the video no apparent rules but I actually felt safer in a car there than being a passenger here with OH - what does that mean I wonder ... :&>

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 10:56:34 pm »
Scares me just watching that video. My son lived in Nepal for some years and may be going back there. His wife is already there. I don't even want to think about them driving over there if it's anything like that video.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 07:16:27 am »
Your son's been driving there, Lesley  :o ? Amazing and how brave! The taxi drivers are absolute stars. I don't think I could learn to drive with that awareness of space ....It is probably much safer than it looks from just watching the video as most traffic is going really slowly compared to here at home. :&>

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 02:57:30 pm »
My son and his then fiancee (now his wife) cycled 3,000 miles round Asia last summer. Some of the roads were very quiet, some were hardly roads and some were horrendous and, reading between the lines, they were quite scared at times. He used a scooter when he was working in East Timor and was knocked off by a minibus pulling out in front of him. He and his pillion passenger were airlifted to hospital in Australia, my son with a broken collar bone and his friend with several broken bones. No insurance in E. Timor, so no compensation. At least the scooter was unrideable so I didn't have to worry about that any more.

His job is quite dangerous and I'm not sure which is more worrying, the job or the roads.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 06:40:53 pm »
yes, 2-wheelers are definitely more vulnerable all over the world, I don't envy him. Hope he can stay safe, Lesley. we will always worry about our kids how old they may be!  :&>

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 06:44:03 pm »
We certainly do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS