Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tractor driving course? South Yorks/Derbyshire? Anywhere?  (Read 10482 times)

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Tractor driving course? South Yorks/Derbyshire? Anywhere?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 02:28:14 pm »
It's ok most tractors now come with a little lady seat to the side ... they have to be little it's only 20 cms  wide.
Mind you back in the day I had use of a zetor and the cab on that you used to be able to hold a party in, just a shame the rest of it was such a shed.

And don't forget health and safety is not about preventing you doing something, it's about you understanding the risks involved and reducing them to a level that is reasonably practicable. 

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:11 pm »
Hi all- I have had my first ever tractor training courtesy of Stufe35! Thanks again Stu- great course! I would definitely recommend that any beginner thinking about buying potentially dangerous kit should seek out some hands-on training/advice from someone very knowledgeable and experienced. Stu took me through the basics and gave me some really invaluable hands-on experience with his tractor and kit (see the agenda in his post of the 16th July). I definitely feel wiser and even my daily Ebay searches for various pieces of kit are carried out with more focus and confidence! This forum is excellent...but there really is no substitute for being taught first hand- to be able to fully understand and be safe you need to be able to see how to attach equipment to 3-point linkage and hear and feel the whizzing of drum mower or what 'OK brakes' feel like!
I suggested to Stu that he should offer this to other smallholders (he is a great teacher!). If you are interested PM him and try and convince him to run the course again!
Cheers,

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 08:04:39 am »
For anyone near the Scottish Borders, Borders Training Group do one day tractor driving courses, as well as various other agricultural things - welfare of animals in transit certificate, chainsaw, etc. etc.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 09:40:13 am »
If there is anyone who lives in the scottish central belt or perthshire area, and who wants to do the same thing feel free to contact me.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 10:07:38 am »
Hello Brewster - Central Scotland Smallholders Association had had some members who may have been interested in a tractor driving course - i'm not sure if you would be interested in taking a small group for a session.
Simon

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 02:13:08 pm »
Hi Simon,

I'm happy to try and help, it would be on a free basis or maybe we could barter for some veg etc? either way it will be on a friend helping a friend basis.

We have 2 tractors one older smaller one with a loader, and one much newer one with vario transmission and front links and pto. we have most implements and if we don't, we might be able to source them for the day.

i would cover the safety aspects of both the tractors and the implements and also their use .

i think numbers wise 2-3 people would be max as people would be hanging around to do there bit.

i will put this into another post but if your interested in log processing im happy to let you see the kit working.

cheers Alasdair

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 10:48:15 pm »
Hi Alasdair - thanks - I am certainly interested myself - anyone else out there interested either CSSA or otherwise. I can understand the basis that you suggest - certainly veg could be bartered. Interested to see log processor too - at present I am working with chainsaw and axe and struggling a bit to keep up with supply, with all the other things that need done too. What days and dates are best for you?
Simon

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 09:34:42 am »
Weekends are probably best, i will be starting to process on sat if you fancy coming to have a look? PM me.

Alamos

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 12:35:06 pm »
We followed this topic through and wrote to Stufe35 to ask about a day's introduction to tractor handling and safety.

He prepared a programme to meet our basic needs; handling the tractor, general tractor safety, attaching implements and demonstrating the various attachments and their uses. Ploughing, rotavating, topping etc.

We had an afternoon with him on Saturday and came away feeling confident about the choices we need to make with regard to the attachments for the tractor.

He is very enthusiastic to and has a lot of knowledge to share in a very relaxed manner.

He adapted his 'programme' to our needs and certainly gave us the best of his time and experience.

I would recommend this type of experience for people like us newbies before ever sitting down on the seat. I know that whoever sell us a tractor will give us advice and information, but this was not a selling pitch.

Stuart is very approachable and if like us, you are looking at getting an introduction to this aspect of smallholding, then here is one route to take.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS