Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do when chickens stop laying???  (Read 6390 times)

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: What to do when chickens stop laying???
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 06:01:30 pm »
The more I talk about it the more I want to just keep them!! LOL

Think will try letting them go dribs and drabs and see what happens.

Thanks for all your comments and advice

;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 06:05:08 pm »
Try to put them in separate areas to see which are laying if you can.  That'll help you decide  :thumbsup:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 06:47:50 pm »
good...  try giving them nothing apart from layers and and a wee drop of corn at night .. it might get them started laying again the ducks wont lay till spring  thou

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 11:46:17 pm »
Try advertising on Preloved too - there's lots of poultry on there. I agree you can't expect them all to go together. I've got 39 chickens, ducks and geese so more than the usual backyard keeper and couldn't even consider taking 45 in one hit. I'd have to have extra houses, runs etc. Nor would I take older birds - my oldest birds was a pair of two year old ducks, the rest have all been POL/hatching eggs. So the only people who could realistically take all yours in one go would be genuinely commercial, and they sound like they wouldn't be a good mix for a  commercial breeder. Good luck - it'll be my problem in three years time!

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS