Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cleaning dirty hearth  (Read 3040 times)

SarahJDR

• Joined Oct 2013
Cleaning dirty hearth
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:52:54 am »
Any tips please? We have a dirty stone hearth - limestone I think - which I have been trying to clean in preparation for a woodburner due to be installed next week. I have tried scrubbing (even with Stovax limestone cleaner) and even rubbing with sandpaper. It is still a stained and sooty mess. The only difference is that I have now got very achy arms and shoulders. Hoping one of you lovely helpful people might have some tips for me!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Cleaning dirty hearth
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:46:56 pm »
Have you tried a jet steam cleaner Sarah? Alternatively it may need vapour blasting to remove the surface layer which is a Professional job I think.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 02:30:01 pm »
 Perhaps try an acidic thick toilet cleaner with a soap in it or lemon juice with a squeeze of neat fairy liquid ( Fairy is the best as it does not have palm oil in it to any great degree unlike some lesser wash up liquids )  give it a gentle scrub , leave on a while give it another scrub and then with a warm water spray and an aqua type vac  dilute the acid and soap as you gently scrub the stone again & suck the solution of muck and stuff off the slab .

Whilst having the central heating flood repairs done I had to do the whole kitchen floor & hall topping whilst sat in my wheel chair by the above method . For when the so called "  builders " took the old oil central heating boiler out they dropped and left  years of thick black greasy carbon soot (  about half a standard bucket full )  across the kitchen floor that was to be covered in glued down carbonised bamboo flooring. To add insult to injury they had walked it all over the empty bungalows concrete floors   for three days before I found out ........... BTDS.

Obviously use poly sheet and tape to protect the surrounding areas.

The acid and Fairy will break up any grease & tend to bleach the stone , the fairy liquid will make the water wetter  so loosening deep grease & non grease based dirt .
Using the clean spray with warm water will allow you to suck the crap out the stone pores  as well as and neutralize the acid and soap.

If it is a water based deep stain you'll have to just accept it as " character"  of the of your unique property . :roflanim: 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:21:15 pm »
In the place we are now they have sanded the stone back to remove it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS