Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Run quality!  (Read 2951 times)

BlackRocks

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Wokingham, Near Reading, Berkshire
Run quality!
« on: August 12, 2009, 11:07:45 pm »
Not something I really thought about when I got my chooks. My 4 Black Rocks have a more than adequate coop  size. It is enclosed within some electric fencing in a run about 4m by 3m. However this run is on a part of the garden that was previously lawned so is a bit boring I feel for them now that they have stripped it bare! There are no shrubs or plants within the run and I now feel a bit bad about shutting them in this area each day. I can't let them totally free range unfortunately because I know my Jack Russell would go for them given the chance.
In the winter I plan to move them to an area nearer the house to allow this bit of ground to recover. But in the meantime I have some large branches I want to remove from a maple tree in my front garden. I was thinking that i would chop them off and put them in the chicken run to add something different plus shelter and probably a lot of bugs etc which would no doubt be enjoyed. My question is whether Maple causes any problems for chickens ie it's not poisonous or anything is it!!!??? Any other suggestions as to how to make my rather boring exercise area a bit more interesting would be appreciated. I am planning to allow the bit of land they are currently on to recover over the winter and then grow some shrubs etc to make it a bit less boring for them next year. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Run quality!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 11:20:08 pm »
Same problem as I have - mine is a quagmire sometimes with all the rain we've had so I put down loads of sharp sand. They must be OK though as they don't squabble at all.  But like you I want to give them some toys ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:38:32 pm »

Probably no use to you if you want to regenerate the area later, but we had the same quagmire problem a few weeks ago, so I bought a load of bark chippings from a local charity (www.silverbirchscotland.org.uk, if anyone else round here is interested), and they've really done the business. The run is now nice and dry, and the chickens can scratch around in the bark to their hearts content.

Womble.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 12:29:48 am »
They will love any big pieces of fallen branches from the woods - pine etc, as the underneath will be full of bugs for them to peck at.

They do love to scratch so sand, grit and bark chiooings in different areas are great for them, I use the large water trays from the greenhouse that you stand seed pots in as baths, I fill one with water and one with a mix of sand/oyster shell for them to bathe in and pack at.

They also love tomatoes, apples and cornflakes or bran flakes as treats on top of their normal food, and a bit of straw or hay that they can nest in, in a sheltered area, under a bush or tree makes a great den.

Water bowls or drinkers in various spots gives them a walk out to stretch their legs and have a nosey around, and I am sure if you put a tray of dying seedlings or plants in there that you are not bothered about the slugs will go in there and give them some extra protein as well. 
Mine are all free range now, and these are the sort of things they go after.  Hope it helps to give you some ideas.

Julie

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:55:48 am »

Probably no use to you if you want to regenerate the area later, but we had the same quagmire problem a few weeks ago, so I bought a load of bark chippings from a local charity (www.silverbirchscotland.org.uk, if anyone else round here is interested), and they've really done the business. The run is now nice and dry, and the chickens can scratch around in the bark to their hearts content.

Womble.
If I had my ducks in a different run I'd have done that too, but I believe bark chippings are lethal for ducks.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 11:38:22 am »
Simalar thing with us, in fact all the livestock is penned one way or another, cos we are in a very surburban area, too many kids, dogs, foxes and nosey neighbours!
Our chickens have loads of tree trunks, rocks, paddling pool (old bird bath) and a toy tractor to occupy them! Added bonus of the trailer filling with water for an elevated paddle!
Hang food, mirrors, toys etc from the sides or top of the run (beware none of them hang themselves!) and be prepared that every now and again you or someone small may have to climb in and shift out all that mud and c**p and put more sand or bark down
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:42:05 am »
someone small may have to climb in and shift out all that mud and c**p and put more sand or bark down

Or in my case someone tall - my 6' 4" son is coming over tomorrow to do just that!

BlackRocks

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Wokingham, Near Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 01:21:14 pm »
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions, that's given me a few ideas to be getting on with.

sandy

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:51:26 pm »
We have 2 open fires so I put logs where the chickens are then when thy are chopped move them to the log store to dry (they chop better wet) my chickens and ducks follow me around as I go out most days moving the logs and tree stumps I put to decorate the area and they LOVE the grubs!!!! I would suggest old brances and rotting wood for them!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 11:06:56 pm »
I wish I could find a couple of branches or logs for my chicken run

sandy

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 11:31:21 pm »
I love collecting interesting bits of wood, just take a look in my garden, I have loads. I pick up logs and braances wherever I go!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS