Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red Fox Lab Retreiver  (Read 5108 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Red Fox Lab Retreiver
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:42:42 pm »
I've promised myself a Red Fox Lab pup.

Anyone out there know of a reliable breeder of the gundog variety that have good healthy pups and not designer pups with more health issues than what is humanely possible.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Red Fox Lab Retreiver
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:47:01 pm »
The Kennel Club Accredited Breeder Scheme should be a good start.  We have to fulfil all the listed health checks for our own breeds. Fortunately my breed only has one thing listed.  Red fox is a colour not a variety, any responsible Labrador Retriever Breeder will be able to give you details of a breeder who breeds this colour.  This link may help you - http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=52766

When buying a Lab pup of whatever colour, always check for Hips, Elbows, BVA eye tests, Optigen and CNM status
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:57:09 pm »
Thanks for that link. I had a Red Fox Lab/Retriever pup for my 21st birthday many years ago and have decided that I would now like to have another one now but don't want a health disaster.
My Rusty lived to the ripe age of 13 and died in his sleep with no health problems all of his life thats what I aim to achieve with the new pup.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 11:00:23 pm »
I don't know anyone breeding thsi colour specifically but Carole Coode of the Warringah Labs is pretty much the expert in England - http://www.warringah.org.uk/

There is a photo on their website with about 6 labs and I think the far right one may be a fox red.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 02:13:43 pm »
What lovely dogs - especially the photos of them working.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 03:09:40 pm »
It was the 11 choc lab pups on the couch that made me go all gooey  ;D

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 03:23:49 pm »
So have I got this right. I need a pup with scores like this

BVA/KC Hip Dysplasia 0-106 (53 per hip)  The lowest number I can find. i.e 2/2

BVA/KC Elbow Dysplasia 0-3 (3 the worst) so I need a score of 0

Eye screen should be clear.

PRA should be clear.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 10:09:52 pm »
No, not the pup - it can't be tested fro HD till one year, same for eyes etc.  You need to see the actual BVA/KC certificates of the parents(or photo copies of the sire if not owned by the breeder of the pups)  The HD one is on green card.  Don't know about the others as my breed doesn't need them. But those are the scores you are looking for - although in practice anything less than the average for the breed is good.  You can actually get a 0/0 hip score - I know of ONE dog that had that!

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 01:15:02 pm »
Get in touch with this chap. He's a member of a forum that I'm part of.

http://www.miliscer.co.uk/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 02:09:43 pm »
This is Mike Roberts - he's an accredited breeder so does all the tests needed for Labs  - and trains all breeds.  Dogs look very good, he owns a GWP bred by a friend of mine (Rory Major - Bryantscroft) They are  in the Cheshire area I believe.

BWBorder

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 02:11:26 pm »
I own a very well bred labrador and I do know some very good breeders who breed specifically red fox labradors.  They health check all their dogs and bitches and breed for their working ability, good temperament etc.
PM me if you would like me to pass on some details.  Not sure if any of them are breeding at the moment - as they aren't the type who churn puppies out - they select their best dogs and bitches and breed when appropriate :)  Give me a PM if your interested and I'll find out if there are any up and coming litters for you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS