Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need help - scabby and patchy hair loss around eyes *PHOTOS*  (Read 3100 times)

Abigail

• Joined Apr 2013
Need help - scabby and patchy hair loss around eyes *PHOTOS*
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:09:35 pm »
Hi everyone,

I need help identifying an issue with one of my female does, Georgie. Recently we have noticed that she isn't look right around the eyes.

As you can see in the pics they are a little scabby and there has been some patch hair loss too. They have also been quite gunky some mornings and when we've removed the gunk it seems a little scabby underneath.

She had scab a few months ago on the nose but was treated with ivermectin and it went away.

Her inner eyelids look quite pink so that's a good sign but she is just not looking right around the eyes and we can't put our finger on the problem.

She is eating, drinking and chewing her cud normally but she just doesn't seem quite herself.

Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks so much for your help!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Need help - scabby and patchy hair loss around eyes *PHOTOS*
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:16:35 pm »
My gut feeling .......is get the Vet to look at this.................not something I have seen before and I have kept goats for over 35 years.
Your Vet will probably take a swab sample and get it analysed.    Particularly in view of the fact she doesn't seem quite right in herself.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 06:46:10 pm »
I vaguely remember from a james herriot book years ago that "spectacle eyed" look can be copper deficiency. I agree with wytsend though- one of those times when the vet might be the best bet

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:22:25 pm »
I have had some problems like that with one of my GG girls, and have also talked to other goatkeepers who have had (isolated) similar problems. It is one of these things that can be caused by many things and not easy to cure.

For mine (also scabby skin all over and on the legs too, she also looses her hair under her chin and the skin goes all hard and dry) a combination of steroid and antibiotic injections worked, but it may be a stress reaction and possibly come back any time. One steroid injection per week (into muscle) and two antibiotic (Betamox LA) twice per week. The AB's need to be continued for at least four to five weeks... You may also have a fungal infection... Vet definitely IMO. Not good if you are milking her either or if goat is in kid....

However I would also make sure she has a mineral/multivit drench.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 10:46:31 pm »
I've not seen anything like this before but I would be calling the vet if she was mine.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 12:04:59 am »
I had something similar last winter in two of my goats. Tried lots of things, including the vet looking at it, but nothing worked.

Used Eprinex (a pour on cattle wormer) which worked fantastically well on both animals, cleared it up completely. It always tends to be worse in winter when they are indoors more because the weather is worse. My female wasn't as bad initially because she had free access to range outside until January, and then once she moved into the big goat shed it kicked in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS