Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken pushed out "pipped" egg?  (Read 1978 times)

SaraDavies

• Joined Oct 2013
Chicken pushed out "pipped" egg?
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:01:51 pm »
Hi, can anyone tell me why our Light Sussex pushed out her egg that was pipped?  Egg has now hatched and we have an orphan on our hands and having to attempt raising it with heat lamp.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Chicken pushed out "pipped" egg?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:17:32 pm »
No but I had a broody that freaked out when her eggs started to hatch. I was fiddling about with them too so I put it down to that but maybe some are just happy to sit and less happy to cope with hatching? In our case it ended with two lost chicks so I'm not sure about letting her sit again next year.

H

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:04:24 am »
May be inexperience SaraDavies. Broodies need to be 2 years old otherwise there may be problems. We had a 15 month old Buff Orpington eat the chicks as they pipped- broke the shell to get them. We lost 6 and hatched to remainder in our incubator.

You need to find your orphan a companion quickly. You will be stuck with the heat lamp unfortunately as the weather is turning colder and chicks will need some heat until fully feathered at about 4 months.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:02:55 am »
When I had one sitting, the one hatched chick was lying away from the hen who was oblivious and focused entirely on the eggs - if doganjo hadn't happened to be visiting and take a look at that time it'd have been dead.  I moved the clutch and chick to a more secure location and a second one pipped a couple days later but she kept pushing it out and focusing on the rest - dud eggs and live chick.  I didn't have alternatives, had never had a broody before, so just kept putting it back but the poor wee thing died as I didn't know whether to help it or if that would make more problems  :'(   With hindsight, since she took the chick on, I would have helped the chick out of the shell and popped it under once standing, but I had a vague recollection I shouldn't and I couldn't remember why..

Good luck with your orphan - mine is now nearly 17 weeks and out with the flock, tho she doesn't roost or eat with them yet she's scratching and resting among them during the day.  She'd be 26 weeks on 19 December so I'm wondering if I'll get a first egg laid under the holly bush or behind the ivy on the wall..  ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

SaraDavies

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:58:59 pm »
Thank you.  Chick survived the night and is drinking when offered. We are keeping eye on the remaining egg that hen is sitting on.  We wondered if she may be too young as we heard that about geese.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS