Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: maiden voyage of my new tools/supplies transport system  (Read 3432 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
maiden voyage of my new tools/supplies transport system
« on: October 15, 2013, 08:42:17 pm »
Well actually Rosie's been with me for a while, but this is the first time she's actually pulled a 'cart' (about 100yds - I haven't got things fitting very well yet - the harness is off fleabay, and was described as sized for a shetland pony, but it must be for a much bigger shetland pony than Rosie).

Also struggling to keep the shafts from rubbing against her big barrel - another adjustment there methinks...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: maiden voyage of my new tools/supplies transport system
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:48:19 pm »
I just love it!! Doesnt she look smart with her white tennis socks :-) :thumbsup: :horse: :hshoe:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:24:11 pm »
She's lovely and looks very at home with her cart  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 09:36:46 pm »
Perhaps pulling the cart will trim her big belly down. she looks quite at home though
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:11:43 pm »
Perhaps pulling the cart will trim her big belly down. she looks quite at home though

I can hope - she pulls like a train when she heading towards fresh grazing  ;D - though I'm not particularly confident it'll make a dent in her girth; I'll just have to move the shafts apart a bit more.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:30:32 pm »
MAB, ever thought about cutting two similar sized willow or ash poles and bunging them in a stream bed for three weeks or so then  bending them on a simple peg jig so that they are going to dry out and  end up more accommodating to Rosie's figure

OR

Make your own simple steamer tube and steam then for six or seven hours to get them really pliable .

It would be fairly easy to make a cardboard template with glued on card strips of her side profiles  and then transfer that to a peg jig on say a sheet of 8x 4 construction ply ,  diagonally set to get a ten foot length or so of shaft profile
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 05:03:51 am »
Fitting the shafts to the outside of the cart will give you more width !!!! simples
 :innocent:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 11:33:36 am »
They are ash poles that I selected as they had grown in approximately the right shape (though one could be improved somewhat if I could bend it a bit more). I like the idea of soaking and bending, but wondered if they subsequently got wet again, wether they'd revert to their natural shape?

Tiz - I was thinking about that - although putting these poles on to the sides would clear Rosie but would also leave them a bit far apart at the 'tugs'.

Also wondering how tight the traces/ breeching(??) straps should be - they were going alternately slack as we went up and down the slope, allowing the shafts to move a lot - so I tightened them a bit, but I'm worried about over-tightening things and squeezing Rosie between breech and chest band.

It would be so much simpler if someone could breed a horse that could take a standard 50mm ball hitch.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:37:20 am »
She looks fab :D  ! I NEED one! ;D
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 12:03:05 pm »
It would be so much simpler if someone could breed a horse that could take a standard 50mm ball hitch.

You'll need a boy horse for that I'm afraid  ;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS