Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would a greengage and / or plum tree grow well in NE England  (Read 4174 times)

WillieBee

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Whitley Bay
    • Urban Hives
Would a greengage and / or plum tree grow well in NE England
« on: October 15, 2013, 07:28:03 pm »
I have just got an allotment, although I am still in the digging / planning phase.

I fancy a fruit tree, but something a little bit different, maybe a plum tree or a greengage tree. I am wondering though whether they would grow and fruit OK in the NE of England (on the coast at Whitley Bay)

Can anybody advise please ?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Would a greengage and / or plum tree grow well in NE England
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:32:51 pm »
Our greengage trees are usually full of fruit and I keep finding saplings sprouting where fruit stones have dropped and grow.
It is very  windy but not too close to the coast. Up higher than Whitley, same strong winds but colder by a few degrees usually.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 11:50:08 pm »
I live in Southern Scotland 1000' above sea level on a very windy hilltop (no salt spray though).  I grow Ouillins Golden Gage with great success, also Merryweather damsons and some plums - Czar has done well.  This is the first year I have had a Victoria plum crop though and I think it's because my hedges have grown large enough to create a slightly more sheltered microclimate.  So maybe Victorias are best avoided, but I would highly recommend the Golden Gage.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 09:29:14 am »
Having only recently moved from Whitley Bay/Monkseaton to Allendale I know that the key factor where you are will be the amount of wind/weather protection available. As has been said in other posts, if you are right on the coast in an exposed location it will be a much harder proposition than somewhere slightly inland which would be sheltered by the surrounding properties (for example).

Now that we are 1000' up in the North Pennines we have similar concerns about fruit planting plans but have not yet made any definite decision yet...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 10:21:53 am »
We are on a hill directly facing onto the Cairngorms and I would recommend starting with things that will be likely to do well, so that the more risky things can be added later when it is less traumatic if they fail as you will still have some successes!

Greengage sounds like a good one. We haven't tries that but we have planted damson Merryweather and that has been a great success, it's only been in a year and is still a small thing but had lots of fruit on it this year so would def recommend that, experts say damsons are very good for exposed and cold places.

Also consider quince, they are tougher than some of the apples (and will pollinate any apple so very useful if you then get normal apple trees where some need several pollinators, plus the blossom is amazing)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:48:08 am »
Although we are in the 'soft' South, the salt spray off the sea plays havoc with a lot of plants.  I would def. try damsons first. :thumbsup: or maybe something like Purple Pershore.  Have the price of fruit trees rocketed?  I was horrified at the prices in a local garden centre last week - average £40 for all potted trees not the ones in trained shapes :o

WillieBee

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Whitley Bay
    • Urban Hives
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 02:54:44 pm »
Having only recently moved from Whitley Bay/Monkseaton

You'll probably know the allotments then, where I am

The ones just near to Earsdon, on the way to the nearby S'bury's next to the old car boot place.

It probably does get a fair amount of wind.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:33:34 am by WillieBee »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS