Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seeking Carrot Chutney recipe  (Read 5190 times)

bunnyruth

• Joined Aug 2009
Seeking Carrot Chutney recipe
« on: August 14, 2009, 05:13:12 pm »
Hello folks,
last September I was on holiday on Orkney and at a tea shop had some delicious carrot chutney.  The owner was very generous in giving me the recipe but now, of course, I can not find it.  We have what looks like a big crop of carrots coming in so I am hoping to make this.  Does any one here have a recipe that you would be willing to share?  I know that it contained shredded carrots, ginger, raisins and something hot, jalapeno pepper perhaps. 

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ruth in New Hampshire

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
Re: Seeking Carrot Chutney recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:40:43 pm »
Not tried it yet but going to try this one tomorrow with all our extra carrots.   Hope it helps!  x x

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Hot-Carrots/Detail.aspx

bunnyruth

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:48:33 pm »
Hi,
thanks so much for the recipe.  This is different from what I was seeking, but it looks really interesting!  Our weather pattern has finally changed and we've been in a heat wave for the past two weeks with temperatures in the upper 90's (F) for the past couple weeks.  This may just be the salvation of our garden, which had been looking quite sad this year. 

Thanks!!
Ruth in New Hampshire (US)

Wellieboots

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 04:28:34 pm »
why not just use a general veg. chutney recipe & work from there. Main thing is to balance the sweet & sour (vinegar & sugar). I used to follow recipes slavishly (sp?!) but then came to the comclusion that my palet was my palet so started to adapt the basics to suit.

Have a go, wots the worst that can happen!?

It's got me thinking now, do I want to eat my carrots as they are or chutney them when I pull them..hmmmmm..?????? :yum:

pickleandpreserve

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • pickleandpreserve
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 12:03:34 pm »
I made some carrot and almond chutney earlier in the year.

I found a recipe on the chutney recipes blog which you can see here: http://www.pickleandpreserve.co.uk/index.php/rapid-recipes/carrot-and-almond-chutney.

I've written a blog post with pictures about the making of this chutney here: http://www.pickleandpreserve.co.uk/index.php/blog/carrot-and-almond-chutney.html

It's got a great colour and could probably be adapted if you wanted to leave out the almonds.

Good luck

bunnyruth

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:07:35 pm »
Thanks for the recipes and links.  We have had one frost here already and so we should be pulling carrots soon.  We like waiting until after the first hard freeze.  The chutney I tasted did have slivered almonds in it so this last recipe may be very similar.

I appreciate all of the responses and help,
Ruth in New Hampshire

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS