Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Let's use it!  (Read 6685 times)

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
Let's use it!
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:44:29 am »
Hi fellow crofters. The folks at Accidental Smallholder have kindly agreed to have this sub group within the forum for crofters.
Whilst most of the things we do in both smallholding and crofting are similar,the crofters among us will know there are many issues specific to crofting, particularly around legislation and the current changes taking place.

I'm a new crofter and actually found the Accidental Smallholder website whilst trying to find forums on the Internet for crofting sometime ago. I really hope you all find this forum useful and do use it.
Thanks,
Martin

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Let's use it!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:09:58 am »
Great idea to have a dedicated sub group.

I too am a new crofter having to learn everything by the process of;   give it a go - make loads of mistakes - get there in the end.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:22:11 am »
Great idea to have a dedicated sub group.

What oor wullie said  :thumbsup: .

I've already learnt stuff from the other post.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:22:56 pm »
brilliant!!! love the sub-board  :thumbsup:

we are crofters (umpteenth generation) but always good to catch up with others who are having the same issues whether it be lambing or commission.....
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 10:09:45 pm »
Having just spent a week on Skye 3 weeks ago (and in fantastic weather too!), me and the g/f had a look at the property boards in the shops.
We were very very tempted to move.
The thought of getting a croft and on Skye is right up our street.
However, I fear that as we have just gotten our first house, the croft will be put on the back burner for some time.
Good to see a sub board though.

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:33:53 am »
Mini Croft here as I sub-let a couple of acres of neighbours croft.
Enough for herself and I and our needs. Especially as the boat-crewing-work and B&B take up a lot of time.
Great idea this separate section for Crofts as there are some specific needs associated.
I shall watch with interest and comment when/if my limited knowledge may be of use.

For those thinking of Skye....as per Nike....just Do It:-) it's great up here as long as you are of the right mindset.
Rgds
Sskye
Rgds
Sskye

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:47:58 pm »
Another Sgianach crofter here! Will probably be after some advice on grants as we are hoping to stuck into tree planting and putting up fences next year. One side of our perimeter is completely unfenced and I gather the rules on whether you get a grant or not are a bit complex...

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 07:58:14 am »
I'm just in the process of submitting my first CCAGS for grants but I'll need to follow that up with a few more so, I hope to be in a position where I can give you some guidance from my experience. I'm also looking at grant options for trees and weighing up the pros and cons of schemes.
At this stage I'm using an agri agent to get a few tips and then I'll go it alone.

Mrs South

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 07:23:05 pm »
Another newbie here. Built our house so now gerting going with a croft that has not been worked for well over 100 years,,,,

Lots of ideas for what we want to do alsomjust in process of first ccags claim. I didnt answer it right so they sent it back!

Based on the other side if skye bridge, just outside kyle of lochalsh

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 11:00:08 am »
Hello Mrs South. I am 10 miles over the Bridge near to Broadford :wave:
Welcome and good luck.

The Christmas fair at the Dornie hall is on at the mo. if you happen to be near-by. Went yesterday. Got some nice goodies :excited: .

best wishes
Sskye
Rgds
Sskye

Mrs South

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 07:35:11 pm »
Hey Southern Skye!

What's your real name? I'm Lynne Kennedy. South is my married name. Do we know each other? LOL

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 10:22:41 pm »
 :excited:  Hi Lynne,
Unless you make/sell crafts whenever there is a fair at Dornie hall, I doubt we've met ;) .
Remember to batten the hatches before Thursday, looks like a hoolie with 70mph gusts heading this way!
best wishes
Richard.
Rgds
Sskye

KellySam

• Joined Jan 2014
  • North Uist
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 12:20:06 pm »
We moved the North Uist almost 11 years ago for a nice quiet life and a nice safe area to raise the kids.  I 'had' hoped to one day secure my own croft but sadly that's not to be  :'(

I don't wish to bring negativity to the forum so won't go into all the details behind our decision to leave. 
On a good note, I've been signed up to do the courses through SCF and so far have only completed the Sheep Husbandry which was excellent!  ;D  I have both the Pig Husbandry and Dry Stone Dyking approaching too, and if I've not managed to move by March, there will be Grassland Management, Land Improvement and Polly Tunnel courses to be had as well.

We are considering moving to any region of Scotland, but swaying towards the Scottish Borders.  But who knows??  Maybe I'll manage to get myself a wee croft yet   :-\

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 02:19:34 pm »
Hi kellysam, we have a steading for sale with Remax. 3 1/2 acres, out buildings, polytunnel, raised beds.Have a look, The Croft, Upper Bowertower, Caithness.  :thumbsup:

KellySam

• Joined Jan 2014
  • North Uist
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 02:41:37 pm »
Thanks Kelly58,  your house looks amazing and exactly the sort of thing I'd be after, however, I should have mentioned we need to rent although would be interested in entering into a 'Rent to Buy' agreement if that is something which you could consider??  :eyelashes:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS