Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hoping to keep pigs  (Read 3667 times)

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
hoping to keep pigs
« on: August 27, 2009, 11:24:11 am »
hi I'm hoping to get some pigs for pork just waiting on my number, and my son wants a pet pig not sure on what breeds to go for and where to get them  ???

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: hoping to keep pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:08:09 pm »
Generally Lop eared breeds make good docile pigs, My preference although i may be a little biast is the Oxford sandy and black. Other breeds like GOS,LB,SB are also quiet.
Where abouts in the country are you? The BPA website is a good place to start if your looking for pedigree's.

good luck with them and enjoy them! Pigs are like an addiction once you had them, you will always have them!

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:15:36 pm »
I'm up in the top of Scotland , my mum had a small holding some 20 years ago but just brought pink pigs lol and we lived in Kent then so I'm not sure what will cope with the cold up here and as my son wants a couple of pet pigs ,Ive been told that pot bellied don't like the cold and he has to save to buy his so any advise will be good ::)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 01:19:29 pm »
Tamworths would cope well with the cold.  For a real pet pig in a cold climate what about mangalitsas?  (They do make good eating too).

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 01:22:43 pm »
hi Ive not heard of them where would i found out about the breed and would my 9 year old be able to look after his pigs , i soppose i shouldn't mention they make good eating as he doesn't want pork pigs lol as pets seems to think i might try putting them in the free :-\zer

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 02:07:51 pm »
Hi,
If you son is going to be looking after them on his own I'd be tempted to go for something small ! Kune kune's would be my pig of choice (but they'd take a LOT of pocket money) Even at 6 months most 'standard' pigs are big enough to knock an adult off their feet.  :o
Mangalitza info here http://www.mangalitza.co.uk/, I think there's a breeder in Aberdeenshire.
I'd be tempted to get your 'pork' pigs and get him involved with them before letting him get his own - just to test the water and see how keen he really is.  ;)
Kune kune info here http://www.britishkunekunesociety.org.uk/
Saddlebacks are placid, so are large blacks (but the name kind of gives it away - they are HUGE!) Tamworths would be ideally suited to rough conditions, but they are definately more 'colourful' characters, our tammy gave us plenty of amusing stories to tell and several extra grey hairs !
Good luck & let us know what you decide,
Karen x

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 02:14:32 pm »
thank you , you have giving more lots to think about , not sure how my son will take not having any pigs to keep he has already saved two months pocket money (£50) towards getting his pigs and he searches the net but was losing heart on the cost of koonkoons ,maybe i can convince him to just growing pork
Vicky ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 04:06:30 pm »
Vicky,
He'll have just as much fun - whatever the pigs !  ;D

My girls (they were 3 and 4 at the time) used to go and play football with our 2  and even indulged in a spot of hog riding (only with the saddleback, they couldn't get on the tammy!) Much amusement was had by all ! Ours were semi-pet, on account of them being right next to the back door, but ultimately were destined for the freezer - the girls took it very well considering, but were suspicious of every pork product they've eaten since  ::) (they still love pork - I must add  ;)) But it's important to me that they know where their food comes from, I hope it can teach them respect. Respect for the animal, the farmer, for what they put into their body.
Tell him not to get downhearted - he'll get there in the end (unless he decides he'd rather have a playstation  ;D)
Good luck,
Karen x

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 04:24:57 pm »
thank you , hes got bored with the play station and the wii and keeps asking when we can get the animals but I'm waiting on my number which i knew i needed a heard number to keep pigs but didn't now that i needed a flock number to keep sheep until i went to buy some so we are just waiting on defra to sort it out and then picking up our 2 tub blackface lambs he has named one but thinks the other is going to market whens its older ,think i will keep his intersted if we can find some piglets once we have our numbers and he can watch them grow lol :yum:

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 04:32:41 pm »
Kune Kune pigs are excellant for pets. They are very clever and can be trained, very much like dogs. Mine sit and beg for apples, even the boar does it!! My sow is due piglets at any moment but she will still perform for a golden delicious.

Tamworths are great for meat, but are a wee bit boisterous. I have mine behind a mains driven electric fence. I found they would check the battery fences and when the power was low, they would  risk a wee shock to escape! They are excellant at clearing ground too, added advantage!!

I think its great that you're son wants to have a pet pig, but once the hormones kick in, Will he abandon it? My son wanted a dog, he saved up £350 plus for her and her jags etc, but a year later she became my dog once he'd found a girlfriend!!

Send him up to me for a day, I'll show him the "warts and all" pigs

Good luck
Lee

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 04:41:47 pm »
he would love that a day with pigs sounds just like him , I'm hoping girlfriends are a few years of yet hes only 9 but the price of kune kune have made him sit back and look again as he knows he must have 2 but he did work out how long it would take him to save it up lol , talking bout dogs my daughter brought our mastiff then told me she was pregnant now she mine and a big baby to go with it ::)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 04:46:12 pm »
If the Kunes were purely for pets (ie not to breed with or show) then don't go overboard on searching for a registered pedigree, cost they're v expensive.
You may be lucky and get a well bred pedigree that hasn't been BKKPS registered, check out farmers websites for ads. But ask plenty of questions re the parents, to be sure they are sound.
I know of some round me, but its a long way to the top of scotland for a wee piggy!
Little Blue

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 04:55:11 pm »
oh yes purely pets Ive told him to wait until Ive got the heard number then we can look but i haven't seen any up here , I'm hoping there is some close to us he will just have to wait or be happy with just reading about them  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS