Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planning for next April/May  (Read 3374 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Planning for next April/May
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:08:16 pm »
I will want 2 weaners about that time. Not sure which breed yet but so far have had OSB's and GOS. A change might be nice but on the other hand the butcher was very complimentary about the GOS.
If you aren't too far from me and think you might have something ready around that time let me know. Obviously there is no rush  :)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: Planning for next April/May
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 12:05:19 am »
I always recommend that people buying in pigs to fatten try different breeds each time. Not that I'm biased (!) but I think that Helen Dennis (Ferretkeeper) may have one of my Tamworths in pig at the moment. Haven't spoken to her about it for a while, but worth checking.
The thing about pigs is, it's all about finding what suits you best, and what you like about a breed - flavour and temperament-wise. Experiment as much as you can.
If you want me to delve into my contacts and find others with different breeds within easy reach, let me know.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:29:06 am »
Thanks Liz

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 10:02:39 am »
 :wave:

We had Berkshires this time, I was looking at someone selling Oxford Sandy and Blacks next year.  Does anyone have any experience with these?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 10:53:54 am »
Raine I had osb's last year. They were nice pigs and very flavoursome but the GOS this year were leaner.

What did you think of your Berkshire's?

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 07:10:21 pm »
 :wave:
Great fun!  They go tomorrow and I pick up the produce on Thursday.  Will update you then  ;D

Going to be an interesting day tomorrow as a first timer.  Just tagged them whilst they ate and sorted out the movement licence.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 06:38:01 am »
I have had osb's, Saddlebacks,Pietrains and now 2 Middle Whites who are due to go next week, well actually they were due to go a couple of weeks ago but I have kept putting it off, they are lovely boys, thank goodness they are not gilts as I would be very tempted to keep them.
They have all tasted fantastic, all been kept and fed in the same way with varying results, butcher said that this years Saddlebacks were better than last years, what I did notice about them was that they were a lot more active and spent lots of time running about and playing.
Will let you know how the Middle Whites get on.
Anne

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 09:26:05 am »
I've kept GOS for years which we love, then tried Berkshire's....which we didn't!  Now on my third lot of MW and love them.  Great pigs, brilliant temperament, and the meat is the best pork we have eaten.

I didnt think anything could beat the GOS meat but im afraid to say MW pork does!

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:56:46 am »
danconfessed, what didn't you like about the Berkshires?
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 01:40:06 pm »
Not sure if i'm honest.  After having the GOS for years, I found them much livelier and real escape artists!

Also, this part being our own fault, we found the went to fat really quickly and the meat just didnt taste as great as our Old Spots.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS