Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What should I ask the butcher to do?  (Read 6048 times)

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
What should I ask the butcher to do?
« on: April 06, 2008, 06:08:33 pm »
My first pigs are nearly ready to go and I'm about to arrange things with the abattoir and butcher. I'm sure he'll give me plenty of advice, but I'd like to ask here too. How should I get them cut? I want bacon and a ham. No gammon. Sausages and the usual chops, shoulder etc. Should I risk trying to do the ham myself? Hugh FW makes everything sound easy, but I know life isn't always like that ;D How does getting more of one thing affect other cuts? EG lots of bacon at the expense of ???? Is there likely to be variations in the butchery costs depending on how they are cut? Lots of questions - any answers ;)
Johnny
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: What should I ask the butcher to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 10:00:11 pm »
Hi Johnny

Now, I'm no expert at this (you need Andrew) but this is what I've picked up from dealing with butchers for our pigs. Beware some of this might be tripe!

For streaky bacon you use the belly, which could otherwise be used for belly strips or sausages. For back bacon it's loin, which is a prime chop cut I think.

A whole ham is normally (I think) the upper part of a hind leg, and will be huge (at least 10lb I'd think). We've never tried it ourselves, but I think the main issue is preventing spoilage if you keep it bone-in. If you have a tame butcher who will tunnel bone it for you then that may be a better bet.

Beyond that we just say what size of joint we want - 2-3lb for us, but if you've got a big family you might want larger joints. Don't forget the heads, shanks, trotters, skin and offal too, if you have a use for them.

We've always negotiated cost with the butcher - it never seems to make much odds what we want done.

Hope this helps, if you learn more please share!

Dan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 08:31:47 am »
The s houlders can be either boned out and rolled as a superb joint, I think this is where spare rib chops come from as well.  Spare rib chops are even tastier than loin chops.  Below is my wish list if I ever had a pig to myself:

1 shoulder boned and rolled cut into 2 joints
1 leg boned and rolled 2/3 joints
belly boned out, stuffed and rolled (although its easy to stuff it yourself) for superb mid week roasts
1 loin turned into chops.
Rest of that half for sausages. 
other half
shoulder cut into cubes for casseroles and pies etc.
loin boned out and skinned for bacon (best cut into 2)
leg boned out for ham or gammon, again cut into 2.
belly etc. for sausages.

ASK BUTCHER TO SCORE ALL THE JONTS FOR SUPERB CRACKLING
For ham recipes I would try those on this site, or ask Kate Pigs at la Rues who makes the best ham ever.

HFW recipes tend to be too salty for my taste.

If you get the liver and kidneys have a great fry up although you might have to buy in some bacon for this first time.
The one thing to remember is that whatever you do this time, next time can be as different as you want.  ENJOY.

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:34:30 am »
Thanks both. I'm speaking to the butcher tomorrow. Hilarysmum, your wish list has made me very hungry  ;D

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:46:44 am »
Thank you - this is so useful for us beginners. I too need to have a chat with our butcher and see what he suggests. This is a great guide.

Sal

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 05:18:08 pm »
The previous replies to this topic have been excellent. if I could just add my wee bit. I have spoken some friends who are still in the meat trade and the going price round about Glasgow is between £30 & £40 to butcher a pig to somebodies requirements. If after talking to a butcher you have any queries or there is anything they say which you are uncertain about please feel free to either post or send me a PM and I will do my utmost to help.

Andrew

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:30:26 pm »
Spoke to the butcher today and got them booked in :'( :'( We will talk in more detail later this week as to what we want. I'll present Hilarysmum's wish list to Mrs joegina (aka Lynn) later and see if she wants some fine tuning. Any questions etc later I'll contact you Andrew. Thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS