Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: thinking of getting quail...need lots of advice as know nothing about them  (Read 1688 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
any quail breeders/rearers please give me some places I can look for good advice..thinking of getting some to breed for eggs and meat purposes..

Victorian Farmer

We farmed quail for some time a local hotel sold it for us .we started with 125 eggs from 1 breeder used only hens then bought from e bay for the cocks .had over 200 50 in each pen no problem 4 hens to 1 cock .when hatching put big quality stock in a pen on there own till you have 25 .use these to breed new stock .very rewarding Christmas markit 3 for 12 pound .A must a good dry pen lots of room.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
theres `jumbo quail a bit bigger for meat birds........... they all fly like a blackbird so you need a roof..a rat proof floor with small mesh or the rats will bite all the legs off... i tried them but for me a waste of time... to small for the effort but others like them...easy to keep in a back garden.... loads of tiny eggs.... if you buy some quail eggs from a supermarket there a good chance they will hatch

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS