Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TAGGING  (Read 2226 times)

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
TAGGING
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:25:05 pm »
How does everyone tag there pigs im sure our neighbours thought id lost the plot today wading around in muddiest part of pig run trying to catch them to get tags for market in managed all bar one but thought i was gunna end up in the mud then the neighbour would of been  :roflanim: .
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: TAGGING
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:42:32 pm »
Best way is to do while eating their grub. Ours don't bat an eyelid. Doubt our grumpy sow will be as quiet when we do replacements

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:13:25 pm »
I tried that but ended in disaster lol as soon as they see or feel u near them they gone ended up chasing them around there house with food but got 4 of 5 done that way but the sow really grumpy.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

NetherBrae

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 01:09:24 pm »
I spend a few days before working in rubbing their ears at meal time. Come tagging day the majority go in with no fuss.

However, if You're doing weaners, I'd get them in a confined space. For example, trailer or arc. Sprinkle some food and then grab.

Practice makes perfect - we found tagging difficult for our first couple of batches to go off but now I do it the night before or in the trailer and think nothing of it.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »
I do them in the trailer just before they go. They can't leg it then.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:18:41 pm »
ok thanks the weaners were easiest, it just that wild boar we was given lol he watchs you the whole time and dont fancy being in confined space with him as he has massive tusk like teeth. will get him in end hopefully if not will do like our neighbour did take him untagged then put it in whilst he in one of the shutes to the pen he has to go in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS