Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farm land Prices  (Read 5296 times)

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Farm land Prices
« on: October 09, 2013, 03:58:35 pm »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Farm land Prices
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 04:03:43 pm »
Not in Scotland, except Aberdeen where they have risen by 2 %.  The rest of the country has fallen by much the  same.  Take London and the Home Counties out of the equation for more accurate results

This Zoopla heatmap shows it in colour, choose your own area to see where the pinky red patches are.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/heatmaps/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:15:50 pm »
Not in Scotland, .......(snip)

Sorry I don't follow. Isn't Zoopla house prices?

Scottish farm land prices are also at an all time high

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-23801317

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 04:57:02 pm »
Zoopla covers all property sales
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 05:24:49 pm »
Zoopla Heatmap covers House Prices according to their information

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/press/releases/zooplacouk-launches-innovative-house-price-heatmaps/

and is based on their values not sold prices in any event.

Leaving Zoopla aside I posted this because the sale in my OP means that good farmland in Wales is now making nearly £15K an acre which is way beyond the price where you can get a realistic return on capital.

It seems that land has become a safe haven for money and is presumably also seen as a hedge against inflation.

I also wonder how much the inheritance tax law causing this to heat up as well. Buy some farmland do a bit of farming and you can pass on your assets to your children without inheritance tax as I understand it.

Any other views why farmland is making so much? (Besides the obvious because they don't make it any more!)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 05:43:23 pm »
Savills have this on their website
"Values
Our Farmland Value Survey records average growth for prime arable farmland of 1.9% to £7,800 per acre across Great Britain during the first quarter of 2013, which is stronger than the 0.9% recorded in the same period of 2012. Total value growth for prime arable land across Great Britain during 2012 was 11.2%.
Growth during the first quarter was concentrated along the eastern side of England including the North East, where the demand for arable land remains strong ..... Average values now exceed £8,000 per acre, but this year there have already been transactions off and on market of large commercial investment units at over £10,000 per acre.
Average values remained unchanged for all land types across Scotland, Wales and the western regions of England."

Again take South and East of England out of the equation and it's a different story.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 07:57:25 pm »
According to this map my home has doubled in price in eight years, not bad for Aberdeenshire!

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 08:05:47 pm »
Zoopla Heatmap covers House Prices according to their information

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/press/releases/zooplacouk-launches-innovative-house-price-heatmaps/

and is based on their values not sold prices in any event.

Leaving Zoopla aside I posted this because the sale in my OP means that good farmland in Wales is now making nearly £15K an acre which is way beyond the price where you can get a realistic return on capital.

It seems that land has become a safe haven for money and is presumably also seen as a hedge against inflation.

I also wonder how much the inheritance tax law causing this to heat up as well. Buy some farmland do a bit of farming and you can pass on your assets to your children without inheritance tax as I understand it.

Any other views why farmland is making so much? (Besides the obvious because they don't make it any more!)

you also get free money just for owning land, not to mention you may also make some from things like actual farming. There's probably a tax dodge in there as well.
The smart money seems to be leaving the stock market at the moment (ahead of a crash in the inflated asset prices caused by govt money printing) and they're looking at what else they can put their ill gotten gains into.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:38:52 pm »
Prices are certainly going up, down here in Devon, the days of £4k-£5k an acre has gone
we do have a little 20 acre field for sale just down the road at £400K .....

a run down barn with 0.3 acres is turning offers of £180k ....

i think i may have bought at a good time

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 04:25:14 am »
don't forget that 5 acre land locked piece at the back of me the poor farmer is trying to raise a few quid he wants £400,000 for it 5 acres, next door wants £500,000 for a 2 bed semi & 8 acres and the house at the back wants £8m for house and 160ish acres, we  :roflanim: last night saying we thought our money must be special as everybody wants it.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 12:25:24 pm »
Think i will tow my 6 acres down your way , and sell it there Andy !

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 09:00:19 pm »
Zoopla is rubbish, all they do is look at how much property sold for at its last change of ownership and add a percentage. I tested it, I saw how much they valued my house at, e mailed them and told them it had been valued by a surveyor at 150k more than their valuation. I never got a reply but when I checked a month later there valuation of my house was the figure I had made up and told them!

cotswoldfarmer

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 09:44:02 pm »
I just checked my house. Zoopla says it was sold in 2004. Funny its never been sold. Been in the famliy for 50 years and the price is out by about £350k.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 04:33:45 pm »
 :huff: oo la la thought I'd have a look round what we could get for the same money as our place is worth, found an 180 acre farm in france, it has a 16 bedroom chateau and a 5 bed farm house & 6 cottages all currently being let lots of barns out buildings etc
In wales I couldn't find anything dear enough the best I could do is buy a 5* B&B with a campsite 30 acres, 30000 sq ft of barns etc, 2 tenanted outbuildings (more income) with enough change to buy Ebbw Vale.
Funny world and how prices differ, I guess my grass is no better than yours 

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 05:10:35 pm »
The value of farm land is governed by two primary factors.

1. how much you think it is worth

2. how much you/people are willing to pay for it.

The old adage of location location still remains as true today as it did in the past.
Pigs are human tooo

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS