Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Butternut Squash  (Read 5112 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Butternut Squash
« on: August 13, 2009, 04:59:42 pm »
I am growing this for the first time in my pollytunnel, the plant has loads of leaves and flowers but nothing eles. I have been feeding  the same stuff the tomatoes get. When should I start seeing the squash growing.

HappyHippy

Re: Butternut Squash
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 05:54:24 pm »
Hi Sabrina,
If you've got flowers the squash should be starting to grow - look underneath the leaves, the fruits are usually green to begin with so might not be immediately obvious. Remove some of the larger leaves to allow the fruit to grow & ripen.
Squash plants need plenty of room (ideally 3ft), so if they're crowded that may be affecting them, they also need quite a lot of water.
Hope you're eating squash soon & hope this helps
Karen

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 05:58:20 pm »
I have two squash plants.  I have been told that the male flowers seem to come first and that the way to tell which is which is that the female flower has a slight bulge behind it.  I was also told to pollinate the female with pollen from the male but the problem I have is that so far they have all been male flowers and only last for a day.  So I am waiting froa  female flower to appear on teh same day as a male one so i can do teh biz  ;)  ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 06:53:09 pm »
Thats the only prob with the gourd family, the pollination bit.

Mine are growing like mad in the bed just been out to inspect the garden lol

Oh no flowers of any kind yet

(you might find if you snap off some of the male flower you might get femail ones, but it's not a sciences)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:33:43 pm »
My Hokaido squashes seem to be coming on well. First year I've tried and all from seed from last year's fruit. I've got 3 wee pumpkins already on the biggest plant without any artificial pollination, so I hope they will be growing! They tend to grow into hedges and over fences, so I'm hoping for pumpkins from the hawthorn bushes soon, lol. If it turns out like that I'll post a pic  ;D  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 11:22:13 am »
I didn't realise you could plant them outside down here, Kerstin.  Coming from cold, snowy Aberdeenshire anything like that stays inside.  My two plants are taking up most of my conservatory  ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:58:29 pm »
I am growing mine next to my pumpkins. The only trouble is I can't remember which is which and the plants look identical!!! Got flowers, so hoping they will fruit (whichever they are!).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:45:36 pm »
With all the rain we've had today I should think they'd have drowned!  So miserable the heating's on!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 10:31:43 pm »
same here, the ducks had so much fin making a mess of what used to be a lawn  ::)
It's the first year I'm trying the Hokaido, fingers crossed!!!

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Eastern North Carolina, USA
    • Red Bay Farm
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 11:34:47 pm »
My climate is definitely different but maybe this technique might work.

A neighbor gave me a couple of tons of horse manure.  I dumped a lot of the horse manure in my new greenhouse area.  I had a bunch of butternut seed that I had saved and had run out of room in my garden.

I said what the heck and planted 4 hills on the edge of the manure pile.  I planted zuchinni on the other side.

I ended up with half a wheelbarrow load of butternut squash and lots of zuchinni. 

I know this idea won't help this year but maybe next year?

I gave a shopping bag full of butternut squash to the neighbor who gave me the manure.
Best Regards,
Jim
www.redbayfarm.com a website about a small 46 acre family owned tree farm
Become Carbon Neutral - Buy Land and Plant Trees

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 03:59:16 pm »
Well so far I have found one squash growing which gives me hope. The plant has plenty of room and I have fed and water as my book says so will just have to wait and see.  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 05:24:43 pm »
Still just unproductive one day flowers for me - very pretty but a total waste of time!  Keeping fingers crossed for a real flower some time soon or it won't have time to ripen!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS