Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking of turkeys for the table  (Read 2104 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Thinking of turkeys for the table
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:58:40 am »
I'm going to raise some norkfork black turkeys next year (thinking of ten ish)  but how do you guy keep them safe from fox etc???? i was thinking of electric poltry nets but I'm open to other ideas. as with all theses things i would like to try to avoid spending millions while at the same time making sure the birds have everything they need to be happy.
I have looked at this kit not sure if they would be over kill

The Super Deluxe Professional Battery Powered Kit 50m includes:

1 x 50m of 1.22m (4ft) green heavy duty professional close mesh fox busting poultry netting with 9 x 15mm built in double spiked posts, 5 x 19mm additional double thickness corner posts (one of which can be used as a gate post for easy access), guy ropes and galvanised peg set to peg the bottom line down, repair kit and warning sign
1 x Raptor 80 Energiser (can work off Mains or 12v Battery and has an optional 6v battery back up)
1 x 1m T section earth stake
1 x 1.2m hot gate.
1 x KV10 tester
Connections pack
Comprehensive, step by step instructions
Three year warranty on energiser

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Thinking of turkeys for the table
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:28:48 pm »
on the fox side of the fence you need 2 trip wires all way round 1 about 6" from fence and another about 18" from fence both about 12 " up from ground so fox cant even get near the fence to dig or find a week spot i find thats good enough and just use any other main fencing wire netting etc the fox walks into the trip wire and doesnt come back..... i use 3 trip wires and ordinary wire netting fence,...... trip wires very easy to keep clear of weeds etc so power doesnt drain,,,, i never conect my poultry elactric fence now just the trip wires

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:06:33 am »
And have a good backup  ;D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:12:16 pm »
When we kept turkey's the could get over a 4 ft fence without any problem, I found keeping them in harder than keeping foxy out.
Anne

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:25:27 pm »
SIMPLE ....another wire  with plastic bags tied to it 2 feet above the fence puts the bids off trying to get over... not connected to the electric. trouble with back up its like shutting the stable door etc...  do the trip wires its essential and cheap for a huge roll of fence wire
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:43:09 pm by harry »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS