Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Haunted jampot lids  (Read 4488 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Haunted jampot lids
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 07:20:51 am »
no it proves you clearly have too much time to spare  :excited: :excited: :excited:

if you can make 9lbs of jam and still find time to experiment with lid rotation, you either need to make more jam (i can help with any excess  :excited: :excited: :excited:  ) or find some sheep to watch or something instead!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 11:26:04 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Aha aha - I'm actually about drowning in jam.  We're just filling our 6th underbed storage box with the stuff.  Can't waste the fruit and for the past 2 years I haven't made any.  This lot will be enough to last another two years  ::)    I've been making jam for over half a century  :o  so it's kind of second nature.
What bugs me more is making chutney  :rant:  It takes so long to chop all that stuff and fill a huge pan with it, then it boils down to just a few measly jars.  Then you can't even try it for months  :hungry:   Still, it's super delicious when it's finally edible  :yum: :yum: .

Which reminds me....I have two batches of chutney on the go this morning (spicy cherry tomato, and golden gage) so I'd better stop putting it off  ;D    or maybe I'll just go and peep at a sheep first  :innocent:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 11:41:31 am »
Jam makes lovely presents in pretty jars!!!!  Your poltergeist must be envious of your jam making skills... I think my poltergeist likes playing with knobs  :eyelashes: , when I put my slow cooker on high its on low the next time I look, then my washing is turned off and my dryer so I get half washed half dried clothing, the over gets turned down and lights get turned off, my stuff gets moved around along with keys in the freezer etc...the funny thing, it only every happens when my husbands home :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 06:17:54 pm »

Sandy, does your husband perhaps have a pet poltergeist that he carries around with him?

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 07:16:52 pm »
They say they do attatched themselves to some people, mind  you, I broke the glass on the range cooker today...cannot blame him at all

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 08:39:43 pm »
Oops.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 11:27:34 pm »

Aha aha - I'm actually about drowning in jam.  We're just filling our 6th underbed storage box with the stuff.  Can't waste the fruit and for the past 2 years I haven't made any.  This lot will be enough to last another two years  ::)    I've been making jam for over half a century  :o  so it's kind of second nature.
What bugs me more is making chutney  :rant:  It takes so long to chop all that stuff and fill a huge pan with it, then it boils down to just a few measly jars.  Then you can't even try it for months  :hungry:   Still, it's super delicious when it's finally edible  :yum: :yum: .

Which reminds me....I have two batches of chutney on the go this morning (spicy cherry tomato, and golden gage) so I'd better stop putting it off  ;D    or maybe I'll just go and peep at a sheep first  :innocent:

We have a razor sharp cooks mandolin that not only slices it can also dice the slices of onion and make small chips of the other veg.

I wacked 10 pounds of crystal lemon cucumbers through it to get 5 mm slices and salted them in less than 1/2 hr. in readiness for a session of  hot water bottling in spiced sweet vinegar using 1/2 litre  Kilner preserving jars with glass clip down lids & sealing rings  .

If your interested Wilco .com the online part of Wilkinson's delivers free to a store near you if you buy over £30 worth of jars or they do carriage jobbies much cheaper than most
 Our 1/2 litre jars cost £2.25 each almost half price of all others and as we purchased 14 they came to the local shop carriage free. they also do all sorts of other jars mainly much cheaper than elsewhere unless you go to the big boys such as Rayware  and spend over £500 or more at a time .
 The 1/2 litre jars come in boxes of four and bigger boxes of 16

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:55 am »
Hi Cloddopper
I've avoided those mandolins so far as I just know I'll slice my hand off  :dunce:   Maybe I should take another look.

I used to have a thing which sliced and diced vegetables, but it was a wedding present and has long since worn out - I miss that.  I also have several electric choppers and so on, but they never seem to do just what I want.   I have just discovered mincing for some of the chutney ingredients such as apple which tends to harden in vinegar so chunks are no good, and onion and garlic - speeds things up a bit.

I'll take a look at the wilco site, thanks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 12:50:04 am »
Jam makes lovely presents in pretty jars!!!!  Your poltergeist must be envious of your jam making skills... I think my poltergeist likes playing with knobs  :eyelashes: , when I put my slow cooker on high its on low the next time I look, then my washing is turned off and my dryer so I get half washed half dried clothing, the over gets turned down and lights get turned off, my stuff gets moved around along with keys in the freezer etc...the funny thing, it only every happens when my husbands home :innocent:

That made me giggle HGL  :roflanim:    My OH has a pet poltergeist which puts all his clothes in the dirty washing basket, then my pet one magically returns them to him all nice and clean  :D    Something seems to leave the grill on at least once a week too - and it certainly isn't me  ::)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 05:54:02 am »
We learned to turn the jam jars upside downs after filling boiling hot and closing with screw top lids - let them cool like that, and they'll keep even better. Maybe that will stop them rotating, too?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS