Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Young Farmer: Investment tips?  (Read 1829 times)

brendan lyons

• Joined Oct 2013
Young Farmer: Investment tips?
« on: October 07, 2013, 06:30:31 pm »
Hello all!

I am young farmer (20) who is looking for some tips in investing in cattle. Our family farm is 109 acres, roughly a sixth is heather, most of it is grazing land. We own about 60 animals, mostly suckler cows , 1-2 year old heifers, calves and few 2 year old bulls. Im currently looking to farm part time as i am at university. My father is unable to do physical work due to an illness. This means i do all the work under my father's instruction. The farm was not as big as it once was. We currently are supported by the single farm payment which would help us with investing in our herd size.
 I own only 3 calves with my own money, my younger brothers owns abbout 11 heifers and few cows
I want to ask you all two questions
1)On the short term, i have 400 pound to spend, is it worth investing that in calves? if so what age and what breed?
2) On the long term, is farming a good idea for me and my brother considering all the machinery,buildings, land etc are there for my use ready to be used.(once of course the farm is passed down to us)

cotswoldfarmer

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: Young Farmer: Investment tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:54:25 pm »
Hi Brendon

1. Calves are not cheap at the moment but there is still money to be made. By either buying they under and selling them as weaners or taking them on to stores.

2. Farming is a going idea if your heart is in it. You need to look to the future and look at diversifying, find a niche market or product. Always have in the back of your mind that there is a possibility that single farm payment will not be around forever. You would be doing the right thing to start looking at what you want to do now. There is a future in farming and if that is what you want to do take the opportunity

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 07:10:22 pm »
Don't do anything hasty.

I've asked you a few questions in your other thread.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:38:15 pm »
We consistently made a profit by buying in British Friesian X British Blue heifer calves at a week old once the lambing shed was empty after shearing in May and selling them the following February as potential suckler cows.  Fed  our own hay, bought in straw, milk powder and cake.  If you could obtain one or more of these from the farm itself you could make more money.  Only bought in one batch from one farm where they were meticulous about ensuring the calves had more than enough colostrum and never had a moment's concern about any of them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS